Harts Reptile World - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
RoyerReptiles
Harts Reptile World

I regard a good portion of this "deal gone wrong" up to my misplaced trust, so I bear the responsibility of the result, but I feel that others should be aware of my experience so that they can use caution if they decide to deal with Harts Reptile World aka Mary Esther Hart.

I responded to an add on kingsnake placed by Harts Reptile Word and requested pictures of a 5 foot female boa. I liked the picture and requested more information. She looked small, only about 5-7 pounds (I'll post the picture) and was suprised to hear she was proven. I questioned this and was told she had given birth to 12 babies the previous season. Knowing this was unlikely but possible, I proceeded with the transaction simply because I wanted that boa for my own future breeding. Here is a copy of that exchange:

This is my reply to the picture she sent:

"Your email keeps kicking my message back, so I'll use this
method....She is Very nice! Do you take paypal? I'll take her (the 5 footer) if you can tell me two things: she eats regularly, and she is guaranteed to be a she! If the answer to both of those questions is yes, she's sold.
Please also let me know how much shipping will be to 79562...I'm thinking itshould run around $40. FedEx is the most reliable around these parts.
thanks,
Kassandra Royer"

And her response:

"Sounds like you've had trouble getting females. I guarantee she's a she because she had babies last year. She's also a very regular feeder on 2 to 3 rats every 2 weeks. Her color is also exceptional with peach on her sides.
I don't take pay pal only m.o. or western union. I'm thinking shipping will be closer to $55 as I just shipped a pine snake and it was $45. fEEL FREE TO> GIVE ME A CALL 503-266-7236
Mary Esther"

Upon which I replied:

"How old is she? She looks way too small to have had babies! How much does she weigh? She looks like about 5-7 pounds from the picture you sent...we are talking of the same snake, right? I'll try to call tomorrow as it is too late now (11:30 p.m. CST).
> thanks,
> Kassandra"

And she responded:

"She's 5 years old and had 12 babies last year. It was her first mating. She's a good 10 lbs, maybe more, I haven't weighed her. If still interested call me at 503-266-7236
Mary Esther"

Here I might note that each time I tried to call I got an answering machine.

The next couple emails pertained solely to shipping and deciding on a final total price. I sent out the money order. Then I got this email:

Kassandra,
There is a problem. My husband accidentilly sold the boa. I had a sold sign on the cage. There has been a couple down a couple of times to look at her. Well they told my husband they were the one's buying it. I've been sick as a dog since sunday and haven't been at the store. I'm terribly sorry. I've never had anything like this happen before. I can handle it 2 ways. When the MO gets here I can send it back or I can give you the larger snake at no extra cost. It has more contrasting colors.. Doesn't have all the peach the other one did but it's a very nice snake. I'm not feeling good enough to drive yet but will try and get a pix for you tomorrow.
Mary Esther

I was pretty upset, but I'm an adaptable person. I responded that I'd like to see a picture of the other boa and wanted info on it. I did not recieve a picture or response until the next Monday, following several anxious emails and a phone message on my part. Mary did indicate that she had been sick the whole while, and I was sympathetic. I will also post the picture of this boa later.

She was not near as nice as the one I paid for, but she was bigger, and lighter than the average boa, and I figured I always have room for a nice breedable female for a pastel or salmon male.

This boa was listed in the same add as the original one I wanted and was described as 6 foot and "girthy". She was described as beautiful and a proven breeder. I recieved something much different.

She is much darker than the picture and has several scars that appear like old burns. She was very dehydrated, with skin folds and dented eyes. She was 6 foot long, but weighed less than 13 pounds! Oh yeah, she was also shipped in a plain cardboard box with no protection aside from crumpled newspaper, and no heat. My laser temp gun indicated a body temperature of 65 degrees when she arrived. And, when Mary sent the tracking number for me, she said I owed her another $9.95 for shipping (even though she said the boa was offered at no extra cost)

I know it could have been worse. She is indeed a she, at least, and she does not appear to be sick, and has a nice temperament. Here is my response to Mary after recieving the boa:

"Mary Esther,

She arrived this morning and I can't say I'm pleased with her. She is much darker than the picture you sent me, and she has at least a half-dozen burn scars on her that you neglected to mention.

She's also much thinner than you represented. A six foot boa that weighs less than 13 pounds is not "hefty" or "girthy" by any sense of the imagination.

I still can hardly believe you shipped her in an uninsulated box with no heat packs. She was dehydrated and her body temperature was below 70 degrees when she arrived. She has already consumed a pint of water and wants more.

I feel like I was cheated. I wouldn't have paid $100 for this snake. I'm certainly not paying another dime toward the substandard shipping you provided, especially when you said you would substitute this boa for the one your husband sold out from under me "at no extra cost".

I thought that the curator of a reptile park would have taken better care for the animals in their possession. Rest assured that she will recieve much better attention while she is in our care.

Kassandra "

to which she replied:

"That snake is in perfect health. As far as the "burn" marks I have no idea what your talking about she had no marks on her. The carrier said they shipped the southern route so I didn't feel I needed an insulated box as the weather has been warm."
Mary Esther

I am appaled that anyone would so willingly misrepresent an animal. This is a picture taken moments after she arrived, along with some closeups of a few of the scars. How could you miss this? Incredible!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2003, 11:20 PM   #2
RoyerReptiles
picture

This is the picture I recieved from Mary Esther Hart representing the boa I recieved. It is the same boa. I don't know how old the picture is or if it was touched up....
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
RoyerReptiles
the boa I paid for

This is the original boa I purchased. She is much nicer...but no way she was 10+ pounds, and I do doubt she was proven. She would have been a perfect mate for my pastel male...
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
dragonfire
I'm going to say right now that all the info I am going to give is 100% hear-say.
I met a man recently that has been to this "reptile park". It's only a 3-4 hour drive from here, but I haven't yet made the tirp myself. According to his opinion, it is not a reptile park at all, it is a pet shop that charges admission. The admission is supposedly charged to cover the cost of upkeep on these animals, but by looking at them, you wouldn't know that there is an upkeep.
All the cages are not cleaned near often enough. The animals are only fed on a 'when I have the money' basis and there are no records kept on any of their feeding habits, so this woman can't remember when the last time any specific animal ate.

I had planned to drive down and buy several of her snakes until I heard this. I still will drive down and some point to see for myself, when I have a day with nothing else needing to be done and $50 worth of gas $ to blow.

Once again the info about the conditions have not been seen 1st hand by me, it's just what I've heard from a man who in my opinion didn't take that good of care of his animals himself, so I can't imagine if he thought it was bad, how bad it really is.

Allison Brunner

Old 04-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #5
G-lock
Is this place in Canby, Oregon? If so, I have been there and it's horrible!

My wife and I saw an ad in the paper for outstanding leopard geckos (5 years ago--before all of the exciting morphs were readily available). Anyway~ We drove up there and had to pay to get in. The place was in bad condition: cages not cleaned, most of the animals looked like crap, floor extremely uneven, etc. Very unprofessional.

The geckos that they had for sale were just plain old normals. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but to drive for 2 hours to see normal leopard geckos that they wouldn't even take out of the tank for us to see (why leave empty-handed, right?) was quite frustrating!!

I would not recommend them to anyone nor would I *ever* give them any money.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:47 AM   #6
East TN Reptile
The people ya got the snake from...what's their e mail addy? Dave Derrick

Old 04-13-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
RoyerReptiles
contact information

email address:

crocodil@hartsreptileworld.com

www.hartsreptileworld.com

address of "reptile park":

11264 S. Macksburg Rd.
Canby, OR 97013
Phone. (503) 266-7236

address of Mary Esther Hart:

130A Heintz St.
Molalla, OR 97038

address from which the animal was shipped:

Parson's Canby Pharmacy
294 NW 2nd
Canby, OR 97013
503-266-2235

I sincerely hope that she does not maintain an entire "park" of animals who are treated with the same lack of respect and care, especially if she's attempting to educate the public!

Old 04-18-2003, 10:30 PM   #8
dragonfire
More animals for sale!

Just thought I'd let you know there are more animals for sale by her posted on kingsnake today.

Has she been notified about this thread so she has the chance to respond? I know most people are emailed and given a fair chance to defend themselves. I'm really curious what she has to say.

Did she ever even offer a refund for the bad snake? Any resolution? I certainly wouldn't be happy to get an animal other than the one I initially purchased just to find out it's got scarring and is not what I paid for. If the animal is not as described, and is perfect as she claims, then she should be more than happy to take it back, as reselling it should be no issue!

Allison Brunner

Old 04-18-2003, 11:29 PM   #9
Ranger
I got ripped too!!

Quote:
Deleted - violation of FULL NAME rule

Old 04-19-2003, 01:39 AM   #10
Ranger
Ranger's Girlfriend

Quote:
Deleted - violation of FULL NAME rule

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!