Karma Queen - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #21
WebSlave
Well, here is how I have the karma (used to be known as the "reputation system", but that caused some people heartburn around here a while back) system set up right now.

Obviously there are a lot of different ways to manage this function, depending on how I wish to have it utilized, and what I believe it should reflect.

I believe the goal should be to acknowledge members who have been here an extended period of time, and as well, there should be some acknowledgement of those members who have already contributed a fair number of posts on this site. Another criteria is that is someone has been accumulating a number of karma points, then perhaps that should also be some sort of indication of the weight they have in this system.

Sure, I could set all the options so that everyone would only have 2 points (meaning negative karma would give 1 point), but that would then completely negate the above mentioned criteria used within the system. This is great for newbies, but sort of socks long time members here who have spent a lot of time posting quality info right square on the chin, doesn't it?

Obviously I rarely use the karma system myself, and the real reason I have the weighting so high for myself, is that I have found that the easiest and quickest way to neutralize someone who is abusing the karma system is by giving them so much negative karma that it would make their karma grants not affect anyone else's values, and also take them a LONG time to dig out of that hole I have thrown them into. Of course, I would have to adjust that number over time to keep pace with the values that members will accumulate over the years.

Everything is a compromise of some sort. Certainly I never expected to please everyone with what I have chosen to do, but that's pretty much par for the course around here. Sure, I could raise the number of karmas to four (4). Then in a few months I would have people saying "If ONLY we could have SIX, then that would be perfect..."... You know how that goes...

Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #22
Utta
Personally, I don't mind only having 2 rep. clicks a day. Gives you the opportunity for one good, and one bad. Keeps it level.

(More complaining Rich, prepare! ) The spread could be lowered a bit though. If I'm not mistaken, it's stayed constant since before the rep lowering. Waiting weeks for hitting someone again with positive/negative karma is a little long.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Personally, I don't mind only having 2 rep. clicks a day. Gives you the opportunity for one good, and one bad. Keeps it level.

(More complaining Rich, prepare! ) The spread could be lowered a bit though. If I'm not mistaken, it's stayed constant since before the rep lowering. Waiting weeks for hitting someone again with positive/negative karma is a little long.
That particular change was made because there were some members here who were actively stalking one or more other members and trying to bury those other members with negative karma every chance they get. Yeah, running this site can get VERY trying at times.....

But you are right, that probably is somewhat excessive with the limit on just two karmas per day. I'll drop it down to three and see how it goes. If the karma bombing resumes, then I will have to take other steps to end that.....

Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Utta
Thanks boss!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
EvergladesExotics
I guess I see better how and why it system is set up the way it is. I can't imagine what a pain in the @** running such a large website with so many members could be. My hats off to you Rich!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
EvergladesExotics
OMG! I'm green! haha Yay!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Snake-Queen
Now this was a truly helpful thread for me. I never understood how it worked before.

I just adore everyone here! (well not the scammers)

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
That particular change was made because there were some members here who were actively stalking one or more other members and trying to bury those other members with negative karma every chance they get. Yeah, running this site can get VERY trying at times.....

But you are right, that probably is somewhat excessive with the limit on just two karmas per day. I'll drop it down to three and see how it goes. If the karma bombing resumes, then I will have to take other steps to end that.....
Sorry, but I have to say it. Won't this also promote buddy boosting?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
Utta
Even at 10 different people, you could still have the issue with "buddy boosting" just takes longer to get to their end goal.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
Sorry, but I have to say it. Won't this also promote buddy boosting?
Are there really that many people here that are that shallow that they NEED something like this to boost their self esteem?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!