The Best in Thermostats and Temp Guns? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
Scarlett_Fawn
Question The Best in Thermostats and Temp Guns?

Hello-

I have just built my first rack system and want the perfect thermostat for it...

I see from most posts that ESU and Alife are not good thermostats, but what are some of the good ones?

Has anyone out there had a thermostat that has kept the proper temperatures for years and years? Why are Helix thermostats so popular?

Also, I'm looking for a good temp gun. Pro Exotics has the cheapest and smallest one I can find so far. Are they any good? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
DThomas
The Ranco, Johnson Controls, and Helix Thermostats are all good units. Helix are so popular because alot of people use them and they are good thermostats. The other two are very good also and are used by many people. It really is just a matter of personal preference and cost. You can find for sale listings for atleast the Ranco and Johnson Controls thermostats in the classifieds section. They are offered by a couple of different people.

I have heard nothing but good things about the temp gun from Pro Exotics. At that price, it is a great deal and it really is an invaluable tool to have.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
jdg
I've been using the Big Apple Herp thermostats without problem. They are also some of the most cost effective ($110, I believe) and include the night drop feature as part of the standard price.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Slitherin
I have been using...

the Ranco thermostats for a short time, however I understand that they have a great reputation. The main reason I went with them is that they are available for about $48 from Controlls Depot, they also carry the Johnson Controlls for about the same price.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 AM   #5
MGReptiles
As far as temp guns go it really depends on what you want or are looking for. They are alot cheaper than buying 20 thermometers. I have 3 of them the little temp gun, the laser model and the Raytek w/ laser all are very accurate. I would go with the Raytek if you willing to put out 90.00 for the laser model or les for the one without the laser...

Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
shrap
Pro Exotics sells temp guns with laser, model PE-2, for $45. I own this model and have been extremely happy with it. I actually can not believe I went so long without one.

As far as thermostats, the Alifes are ok for the price and what they are. They are basically consumer grade products. They are not the death traps many people make them out to be. I have 4 of them hooked up to various enclosures and have never had an issue. The main thing to take note of with them is that each one is a little different in its settings. For example, on one of them you can have it set to 90 and it actually get to 92 at the probe before it shuts off the heat. On another, with an identical enclosure, you can set it to 90 and it actually get to 88 at the probe when it shuts off the heat. So you have to do a little trial and error to get them properly calibrated.

Now the Johnsons, Helix and Rancos are more of a professional grade thermostat and are usually 3 times the amount of the Alifes....but they are worth every penny. All of my hatchling racks, BP cages and incubators run off of these. They are much more precise.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
MGReptiles
I have the PE-2 also and it is very handy. I am importing a new model from the same company that is cheaper than then PE's. I also have the model that Proexotics calls the PE-1... All good stuff but alittle high imo....

Old 12-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
lilroach56
I use the ESU thermostat (same as Alife and the Cheap BAH one). Works "fine" for me. I set it to 92, it turns on at anything less than 88 and off at anything over 92. It mainly stays around 90 where the probe is. Im happy with it. I wouldn't use it for a rack however.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #9
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
As far as thermostats, the Alifes are ok for the price and what they are. They are basically consumer grade products. They are not the death traps many people make them out to be. I have 4 of them hooked up to various enclosures and have never had an issue. The main thing to take note of with them is that each one is a little different in its settings. For example, on one of them you can have it set to 90 and it actually get to 92 at the probe before it shuts off the heat. On another, with an identical enclosure, you can set it to 90 and it actually get to 88 at the probe when it shuts off the heat. So you have to do a little trial and error to get them properly calibrated.
How long have you been using your Alife thermostats? How much power are you running through them? Do you feel comfortable making the assessment that they are "safe", even with several people giving first hand accounts of them getting stuck in the ON position?

It's a fact - they are an analog thermostat. They will fail eventually. The 500 (sometimes 1000) watt power handling capacity I have seen advertised on them is probably the culprit. The more power you run through them, the hotter they run. And then they fail. If you're running a single 75 watt light bulb or something similar through them, you may never see problems.

Personally, I am using a few Alife style thermostats with lamp dimmers wired inline. It's the only way I feel remotely safe using this style of thermostat. And even at that - I am replacing them with Ranco and Johnson units as I can afford them (only 2 more to go!).

Old 12-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #10
MGReptiles
Is the alife and the BAH-1000 the same unit with different packaging? I know they are int he same caseing, just wonder is anyone knew any details one them. I know they are imported in hugh numbers from china....I ahve used the Bah but not the alife..Whith the amont of cash I have in my collection now a 85.00 tstat is cheap when compared to the value of the animals..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!