about siklback and their husbandry - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #101
SteveHiss
Quote:
While this animal is causing an uproar in the beardie community, eyeless turtles are causing an uproar with turtle people. What's the difference between them? None that I see, both are mutants because of a serious genetic defect, and both are causing concern in their respective communities.
I see a difference between the two. To me, an eyeless turtle is not desirable because the animal is of course blind, and cannot behave like a "normal" turtle, therefore it's quality of life would be much less than a normal, seeing turtle. So far however, according to the originator of the Silkback, there is nothing to indicate that the Silkback has any less quality of life than a regular scaled beardie.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #102
KelliH
I apologize; the above post was actually made by me. I didn't realize that my husband was still logged in. I'll pay closer attention to that from now on, sorry!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #103
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHiss
I see a difference between the two. To me, an eyeless turtle is not desirable because the animal is of course blind, and cannot behave like a "normal" turtle, therefore it's quality of life would be much less than a normal, seeing turtle. So far however, according to the originator of the Silkback, there is nothing to indicate that the Silkback has any less quality of life than a regular scaled beardie.

I'm very glad that you feel you can trust a person that you don't even know but I don't see how it would be possible for this animal to maintain the same quality of life like their cousins....beardies with scales. I am not calling this person I liar, as I don't know him well enough to do so. But his account or Dachius accounts is not proof to me.
If their skin is like that of a pinkie how is it possible for them to mate without ripping the female up? How will it tolerate as high as temps needed to digest like normal dragons? I just can't see how they can have the same husbandry that they so desperately need to keep them healthy without scales. As they may look like a different animal, I'm assuming on the inside they are the same animal.
The scales are to bearded dragons like skin is to us....isn't it safe to say that this is akin to people being born without their skin?

Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #104
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHiss
The issue I have there, though, is that they may not have problems with them right this minute. I just hope nobody ever tries to breed a female silk. She would get torn up in more ways than one. No matter how well she supposedly heals, those scales are there for a reason.

There's also the issue that what we're seeing is what's going on on the outside. It's going to be a while before anyone knows what else has been affected that we can't see.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #105
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
I'm very glad that you feel you can trust a person that you don't even know but I don't see how it would be possible for this animal to maintain the same quality of life like their cousins....beardies with scales. I am not calling this person I liar, as I don't know him well enough to do so. But his account or Dachius accounts is not proof to me.
If their skin is like that of a pinkie how is it possible for them to mate without ripping the female up? How will it tolerate as high as temps needed to digest like normal dragons? I just can't see how they can have the same husbandry that they so desperately need to keep them healthy without scales. As they may look like a different animal, I'm assuming on the inside they are the same animal.
The scales are to bearded dragons like skin is to us....isn't it safe to say that this is akin to people being born without their skin?
I believe the question about temperature and digestion has been throughly answered.

Jamie

Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #106
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Actually, no. They are not anatomic homologues.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #107
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart
Actually, no. They are not anatomic homologues.

I guess I'm not understanding your point. Since I wasn't familiar with the "homologues" I did a search and this is what I found.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homology_(biology)

And I still don't understand your point.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #108
whiskersmom
Sorry, the link doesn't work.....but this is what it states.

Quote:
In evolutionary biology, homology is any similarity between characters that is due to their shared ancestry. There are examples in different branches of biology. Anatomical structures that perform the same function in different biological species and evolved from the same structure in some ancestor species are homologous. In genetics, homology is measured by comparing protein or DNA sequences, and genes that share a high sequence identity or similarity support the hypothesis that they share a common ancestor and are therefore homologous. Sequence homology may also indicate common function. Homologous chromosomes are non-identical chromosomes that can pair (synapse) during meiosis, and are believed to share common ancestry.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #109
Dennis Hultman
Simply put.
Skin of humans and scales of dragons don't have the ancestry or perform the same function. It wouldn't be the same.

Quote:
isn't it safe to say that this is akin to people being born without their skin

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #110
whiskersmom
I think you'll are missing my point. My point is we would probably face many disadvantages without our skin, why isn't it the sample principle for lizards.

Are we splitting hairs, here?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread