need some advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
jim0602
need some advice

Well this is a new dilemma for me. Early may I sold a pair of snakes and a set of cages to a guy at a show. The total was $1600.00. He didn’t have all the cash so paid $800.00 cash and agreed to call and pick them up at my house in 2 weeks. I didn’t hear from him for 4 weeks and said he had some troubles but wanted to send more money. I said no problem. He sent $400.00 more which left a total of $400.00 and he said he would call in 2 weeks to come and get them. I said no problem. It’s now been 3 months and I have not heard from him in over a month. When I sold them he asked if I wanted his name and phone number. I said no, if I never hear from you again it’s a bonus for me. He looked at me shocked and then we both laughed and he said I guess that’s true. Well now I haven’t heard a word and am stumped. I am feeding, watering, and cleaning these snakes every week. It will soon be time to start cooling them down for breeding. I have decided there will be no chance of any refund. My question is how long do I give him before I say tough. When they start cooling I will not let him have them till after the babies are born. So this will technically mean feeding and caring for his snakes another 6-8 months. I sold these snakes because I wanted them gone. Doe’s anyone think I will owe him any babies ?? and should I charge him for 9 months of feeding and care ? I don’t want to tell the guy tough and thanks for the 12 hundred bux but I feel like I have been beyond patient. If I wanted to keep and bred these snakes this year I would not have sold them. If I never hear from him again it’s all very easy. I just want to be ready.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
hhmoore
You accepted a 50% cash deposit, and then a subsequent payment of half the remaining balance - so 75% of the agreed upon price...and you don't even know his name? Sorry, but that is pretty lame, IMO. Did you give him a receipt? I mean, sure, what do you care if you have his contact info...you have the snakes AND his money (what about the cages, btw?). If he defaults, it really is a bonus for you, whether you were joking about that or not.
Quote:
I didn’t hear from him for 4 weeks and said he had some troubles but wanted to send more money. I said no problem. He sent $400.00 more which left a total of $400.00 and he said he would call in 2 weeks to come and get them. I said no problem. It’s now been 3 months and I have not heard from him in over a month. When I sold them he asked if I wanted his name and phone number. I said no
He has contacted you, and he has SENT you money. You should have some means of contact from the second payment...unless you found cash in a blank envelope with a note stating "Here is $400 dollars towards my snake and cages, Thanks". How did he send the second payment. Check or money order via the mail should have both name and address. PayPal payments include an email address, AS WELL AS a name and address. I thought I was the last individual that didn't have Caller ID - it is nice to know that is not the case...or did you just not write down the number. Don't get me wrong - the customer should have lived up to his end of the deal, and paid the money. That part is a no brainer. On the other hand, though, since you didn't bother getting any contact info, I don't think you should be so quick to call them yours again.

As for the other part of your post...just curious - is there a reason that you HAVE to breed them? After all, you did clearly state above that if you wanted to breed them, you would not have sold them.

What to do is actually in interesting question. Since you don't particularly want the snakes, and you don't want to breed them, my suggestion would be to give him 3 months of NO CONTACT/NO PAYMENT, then sell them. Otherwise, what do you do when he calls, sends, or shows up with the last payment? Could you, in good conscience, say "yes, I still have the snakes and cages, but you can't have them because you waited too long"? From a "business perspective", you might not be wrong to do that. Was the issue of forfeiting funds ever addressed, in any manner, even if it is the posting of a TOS?? I address nonpayment in my TOS, but if this situation were to arise, if I still had the animals/merchandise I would honor the agreement (although, depending on the time frame, some additional compensation might be appropriate).

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
jim0602
Lame ???? How is that lame. I had no need in his name. He told me he would be here in 2 weeks. He was a no show. He did get a receipt and he did get 1 of my cards with all my information on it. And yes I also have the cages.
He did send cash with a note of something like here is $400.00. more and I’ll see you in 2 weeks.
There probably was a name and address but we had just had the conversation 2 days earlier and he assured me he would be here in 2 weeks or less. I once again had no need or desire to get his information. Had he done like he said the 1st time or the 2nd time there would not be a problem. I’m not exactly calling them mine at this time but it has been pushing 31/2 months since our agreed upon pickup date.
And I don’t have to breed them but I have been conditioning them to breed since spring so why not ?? There 100% health and will be ready to go.
I am just asking what the general thoughts on a time frame should be and how others would handle it.
I am perfectly willing to honor our agreement it is just going to take some tweaking of some sort soon I think and was curious of what others thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!