Can We Enforce a Higher Level of Accountablity? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #21
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
Oh boy...the discussion would go farther if we wouldn't imput motives to each other.

I wasn't defensive (I didn't feel defensive) I was explaining why I didn't think the comparison was apt. I am sorry if I didn't get my meaning clear.
Yep, I agree. And that's part of my point. I was comparing the QUALITY of the ideas, not the content. I inferred defensiveness from the tone and content of your other recent posts in this thread, and I attributed your misunderstanding of my point to this perceived defensiveness. Likewise, our perceptions may differ on what qualifies or disqualifies someone to be a "bad guy" or a "good guy". Heck, we may even have the same qualifications, but perceive what is presented to us differently. Until we can all agree on the qualifications and communicate and comprehend on the exact same "wavelength", we may have to settle for the warts-and-all manner in which the BOI and Fauna already operate.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
WebSlave
Quote:
I have been informed that Rich doesn't need a garage-breeder know-it-all coming in and causing trouble and as I hate nastiness, I woudl prefer to drop it.
It appears someone has taken it upon themselves to feel they can speak for me in this matter. I don't recall giving anyone that authority, nor do I wish to have anyone believe they have that right. I certainly have not spoken with ANYONE about this, so it appears that somebody is being overly presumptive about what I may think about this issue.

Who ever it is, you may want to take their opinions with a rather LARGE grain of salt.

Quite frankly, I am always willing to listen to ideas. That's as long as the issuer fully understands and accepts that for one reason or many, not everything is feasible or even desired to be implemented.

But I reserve that decision for myself, and have not delegated it to anyone else.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
I have been informed that Rich doesn't need a garage-breeder know-it-all coming in and causing trouble and as I hate nastiness,
Deborah, I scanned through the other thread and didn't find any post like that. Was that posted somewhere or was it sent to you?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
LakesideBoas
I had an idea...

I was just thinking of the Chicago NARBC I went to this year. How many of us were gathered in one place and nary a candidate in sight right before a local election? If we can get politicians (Brrr and yuck but...) to look at us as potential supporters (read voters) and not a stepping stone to knee jerk reactionary legislation we may just see a light at the end of our future's tunnel that isn't a train...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #25
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Deborah, I scanned through the other thread and didn't find any post like that. Was that posted somewhere or was it sent to you?

I am sorry, it was not posted. It was said in the chat room.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas
I was just thinking of the Chicago NARBC I went to this year. How many of us were gathered in one place and nary a candidate in sight right before a local election? If we can get politicians (Brrr and yuck but...) to look at us as potential supporters (read voters) and not a stepping stone to knee jerk reactionary legislation we may just see a light at the end of our future's tunnel that isn't a train...

Now you are seeing where this can go.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #27
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Now you are seeing where this can go.
Okay, so how are we going to get there? You wanted a discussion, let's discuss this already!

Is everyone mute? Can't post unless you are shooting somebody down? How about being proactive instead of reactive? We've gotten pretty good at reacting, unfortunately by the time you can react in most cases it's too late to make a difference.

Let's hear some ideas folks.

I try not to think too much, it hurts when I do that. I've been doing a lot of thinking in this thread, I think I have a migraine!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #28
Wilomn
I think that opening this can of worms is something I'd like as little to do with as possible.

I don't want to be regulated. I don't want to be obligated. I don't want anyone deciding what I can and can't do with my animals, though I already do to some extent.

I don't play well with others, especially those who can't be trusted. Does anyone know of any politician that can be trusted?

Unless one of our own is put in a position to benefit the rest of us I see nothing but bad coming out of this. More regulation, more permits, more restrictions, more inspections, more more more.

Now, if one of US, a fellow herper in good standing with the entire herping communinty wants to step up and take the lead, then maybe I could get behind that. But from what I've seen here so far and what I've witnessed in the past, I gotta say it's a long uphill pull and good luck to ya.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #29
deborahbroadus
One thing I can do..is start a list of regulations/a proposal or something...not sure of the term yet..it will develop as others see that we can be proactive on this. That is not about changing Fauna..but a wider approach on dealing with scammers, diseases...before the government does it for us.

Tomorrow's a slow day (holiday cruise for employees, but I am not going), so I'll try to have something by COB tomorrow...just a beginning and then everyone can jump on the bandwagon and suggest changes or ideas. We'll learn.

The ideas are in the developmental stages.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #30
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I think that opening this can of worms is something I'd like as little to do with as possible.

I don't want to be regulated. I don't want to be obligated. I don't want anyone deciding what I can and can't do with my animals, though I already do to some extent.

I don't play well with others, especially those who can't be trusted. Does anyone know of any politician that can be trusted?

Unless one of our own is put in a position to benefit the rest of us I see nothing but bad coming out of this. More regulation, more permits, more restrictions, more inspections, more more more.

Now, if one of US, a fellow herper in good standing with the entire herping communinty wants to step up and take the lead, then maybe I could get behind that. But from what I've seen here so far and what I've witnessed in the past, I gotta say it's a long uphill pull and good luck to ya.
That can of worms is going to be opened eventually I don't see anyway to prevent it. As I see it, our options now are to stand by and wait for the fall out as new diseases come and spread or more scammers get a good foothold over here, or be proactive about the situation.

I know no one knows me, I am not suggesting that I take the lead on this (heaven forbid..I am DEAF it would be more difficult for me than for someone else). But how are we going to encourage anyone to take the lead if we can't even lead ourselves, if we don't give them something to work with...a starting point, so to speak?

The idea as not to let the politicans take control...but to use them to get our regulations passed before they created more for us.

Does anyone know of the ADA? Before it was passed disabled had to tolerate a lot...a bunch of them got together and in time and with a lot of work..eventually the ADA was drafted and passed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!