New price order? - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #61
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano View Post
The pip of the baby after years of hard work is more exciting to me than the prospect of selling them.
The prospect of selling them is hands down the part of this I dislike the most. I literally dont like thinking about it until I have to. To this day every baby my critters produce pulls at a heart string when I am boxing them up. I hate them leaving home.

About ten years ago I let my pure bred Russian Blue cat be bred by someone else's pure Russian Blue and we split the litter. My cat was the female of course. So by the time the kittens were weaned I was too attached to let any of my half be sold. So we went from 1 cat to 4.... and immediately to the vet to get them all fixed!!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #62
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Dan,

I hate to say it but you sound like a disgruntled buyer that thought they were going to be able to take advantage of a poor economy to get high end animals for cheap. When your plan to take advantage of breeders in distress didnt pan out like you hoped, you decide to blame the market for not being able to get that animal you feel you are entitled to at the price you felt you were entitled to get it at. Not trying to be insulting to you in the least, just saying what it looks like to a degree.

Simple supply and demand and competition will dictate prices. Look at Pastels, Albinos, Spiders, etc, etc, etc, etc, that have taken really big nose dives over the last couple of years. Supply overtook demand and you had countless different breeders producing them, so the prices came down. And the same is happening to all the other base morphs and many of the more dated designer morphs.

If you are trying to get in on a morph/designer morph that supply is still limited on, you are going to pay a premium. That is just basic economics. Remember when CD players first came out? DVD players? The cost was outrageous. $800-$1000. 5 years later they were literally under $100 because supply caught up with demand and many different companies were producing them which created competition. So if you want that limited supply item you are going to pay a premium for it. Or you can wait until that item is no longer in limited supply and pay a lower price.

Just my two cents on it.

It's just an opinion and my perception on the industry right now. What I'm trying to understand is the thought process of buyer and sellers as I'm currently in the process of co-writing an assay in the topic.

Best

Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #63
KelliH
Quote:
And then there is the flip side of that coin. Trying to find a simple patternless male or blizzard male to finish off some of my projects is like pulling teeth. The biggest "new thing" on the market has over shadowed the pure joy of being able to keep these special creatures. Seems that so many jumped in head first with out realizing the cost of feeding and housing. Because we breed our worms and feeder rodents, my supply is readily available and is not an issue.
Dang girl, pm me I've got several Patty and Blizz males! The Blizzard has been for sale on my website for months, no interest. I still love the old school morphs and work with all of them. My favorites are Stripes and Blizzards.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #64
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith View Post
It's just an opinion and my perception on the industry right now. What I'm trying to understand is the thought process of buyer and sellers as I'm currently in the process of co-writing an assay in the topic.

Best
Is it really any different than any other industry though? When the economy takes a long downturn like it is now, essentials always seem to go up in price while non essentials take a small dip in price. Not a large dip. If the economy rebounds quickly and you panic dropped during the downturn you are now stuck at those panic prices. It is always better as a seller to drop your prices slowly instead of taking a panic plunge. As a seller that is how I look at it.

This country really has not seen a truly prolonged recession since the 70's. The market place has changed so much since then that we are really are entering unknown territory as far as being able to predict how businesses will be able to adjust and withstand a prolonged recession. Hopefully we wont have to find out the hard way.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #65
WingedWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith View Post
In my opinion ball pythons are overpriced (bear with me I'm into ball pythons). But it's not me that dictates that, it's the market. If an animal posted in a heavy traffic web site is up for sale for weeks with no takers, then you are priced off the market. You can wait with the animal until a "new generation" of reptile keepers is born (joke) or you can accept a lower offer in your animal. This flexibility will be different for different individuals. Some can subsidize their hobby/business with external income and can thus wait longer for an animal to sell at a given price; some cannot. My perception is that the longer an animal is out there at the same price the chances for it to sell decrease constantly. Or in Einstein's words: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. ;

Best!
There's no such thing as 'overpriced' when it comes to...well, anything. Prices are what the market will bear. Something will sell for the highest amount that people will pay for it regularly.

How can one really tell if the reason an animal isn't selling at its current price is because it's too expensive...or just because no one who's looked at the ad so far actually wants it? You have to look at what others are pricing things at, and make your own judgement on that. Your problem might not be high prices--it might be that you're not advertising correctly.

And seriously--snake morphs, especially ball pythons and boas, are a big herpetocultural pyramid scheme with a mattress at the bottom called 'the pet trade'. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of that. Who buys morphs? MOSTLY other breeders--for ANY of them. What is an albino ball python worth to someone who's looking for a pet? Probably not much more than a normal. Same answer for ALL of the other morphs, whether they are currently worth 90 bucks or 20 grand. These snakes are worth so much money because they are worth money to breeders, who want to turn around and sell the offspring to make more money.

People who honestly have no expectation of making even a bit of extra cash from breeding are EXTREMELY rare. There's little other incentive to breed snakes--I mean, if you want a bumblebee, and you buy a pastel and a spider right now...why bother? You can just buy a bumblebee in three years for what you paid for the parent snakes.

It's not quite the same as breeding dogs...having a few snakes and breeding them to 'improve the breed' doesn't work very well, because there aren't enough questions about snake genetics worked out yet...nor any stable 'lineages' to purchase stock from. A really small collection isn't going to allow a person to do very much to create a new look through selection, particularly when there's 3 years between generations. The folks having the most success with creating a new look through selective breeding are those who have huge collections to pick animals from, who can afford to hold back a ton of 'maybes' and who are planning on doing this for a LONG time.

"Because it's fun to see what will hatch" is a valid reason--just not a very common one.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #66
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
What is an albino ball python worth to someone who's looking for a pet? Probably not much more than a normal.
I see what you are saying here, but I do have to disagree somewhat. There will also always be that person who wants something "different" or "special" and has no interest in breeding it. There are still plenty of people who will pay $1500 for an English Bulldog...why should they when there are so many $50 Labs in the paper? Then there's the idiots who spend $2000 on a "goldendoodle" (or whatever the mutt of the day is), because it's new, or unusual, or not like what the Joneses down the street have. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
There's little other incentive to breed snakes--I mean, if you want a bumblebee, and you buy a pastel and a spider right now...why bother?
It IS possible that for some people, the snakes themselves ARE the incentive, that some people actually DO just enjoy having snakes, and hatching babies is the absolute, bestest most fun part of it.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #67
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
I see what you are saying here, but I do have to disagree somewhat. There will also always be that person who wants something "different" or "special" and has no interest in breeding it.
I used to be "that guy"...to an extent, I still am. When I was doing a lot of exhibitions, I wanted a variety of interesting animals. I paid from $400-1500 for single specimens that I had no intention of breeding, simply because I liked them. Some of those animals never went on display, so I can't really argue that I wanted them for that purpose. (*I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot of money, but that was practically a different era)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
It IS possible that for some people, the snakes themselves ARE the incentive, that some people actually DO just enjoy having snakes, and hatching babies is the absolute, bestest most fun part of it.
Yup. I mentioned earlier that I would probably be carrying 30+ babies into next season...the part I didn't say was that at least half of those are being held back for my own little projects. No, I don't plan on raising them all to adulthood, but I'm not letting them go until they are old enough and large enough to tell which are the best of the group (I've already got my choices picked, I just want to make sure I am right). This is a project for me - it's not going to be worth much of anything, financially. If the snakes weren't IT for me, I couldn't really get away with my sporadic advertising or deciding not to sell things because I don't feel like dealing with people.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #68
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
It's not quite the same as breeding dogs...having a few snakes and breeding them to 'improve the breed' doesn't work very well, because there aren't enough questions about snake genetics worked out yet...nor any stable 'lineages' to purchase stock from. A really small collection isn't going to allow a person to do very much to create a new look through selection, particularly when there's 3 years between generations. The folks having the most success with creating a new look through selective breeding are those who have huge collections to pick animals from, who can afford to hold back a ton of 'maybes' and who are planning on doing this for a LONG time.

"Because it's fun to see what will hatch" is a valid reason--just not a very common one.
Having a few snakes and breeding them isn't the same as breeding dogs because... and this is the important part... snakes aren't dogs.

The rest of what you said is basically the exact ignorant crap that royally torks me off about many first time or small time breeders. Having a small number of animals doesn't prohibit an individual from selectively breeding- they chose the damn things to begin with and if they had half a brain they would use some method of selection beyond "first avaliable" They have the ability to PICK which animal gets paired with which other animal, removing all excuses for the propagation of overtly negative traits. Far more important than even that though, they have the ability to make a decision to simply not breed when they do not posess stock which should be mixed or when the pairing is likely to result in low grade animals, the very existance of which is detrimental to the overall captive gene pool. Everyone who produces an animal has the ability to decide not to breed crap to crap to produce crap squared.

If YOU have a problem selectively breeding, I have the following advice for you... Know the species and understand their traits before you select your breeding stock. Learn to cull. Take some goddamn responsibility for the resulting offspring.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #69
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
There's no such thing as 'overpriced' when it comes to...well, anything. Prices are what the market will bear. Something will sell for the highest amount that people will pay for it regularly.
Your second statement implies the market or demand regulates prices. Thus overpriced exists and is when your price is not in line with what the market bears. Maybe an individual can use the leverage of his/her reputation to ask somehow more than the market price, but there’s a limit to that also. If I place an ad for a male baby pied ball python for $4,000 believe me, it will be there forever. A more real example there’s an individual that was part of the longest threads in the BOI that has had a snake for sale for over 6 months. Same ad, same picture, same snake; he not only did not sell her when it was priced at $500 but he raised it to $600 around a month ago. Needless to say he is overpriced and he doesn’t have the reputation leverage.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #70
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
If the snakes weren't IT for me, I couldn't really get away with my sporadic advertising or deciding not to sell things because I don't feel like dealing with people.
I know exactly what you mean....scenario at my house:

Other half walks in while I'm watering or cleaning baby racks.

OH: Sell any more of those hatchlings?
Me: Uh, no.
OH: None?
Me: Um, not lately.
OH: Why?
Me: I suppose I should get around to putting ads up....
OH: You sell more when you actually put ads out. You can't keep them all.
Me: Yeah, I suppose I should put some up this weekend. (Not really listening, busy laughing at the baby trying to bite at me)

Repeat this every couple of weeks, and you get the picture. I suppose it's getting close to winter, I really SHOULD put some ads up to avoid shipping hassles when it gets too cold.....this weekend maybe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!