Inbreeding taking a toll on albinos? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:32 PM   #81
The BoidSmith
Posted today

Quote:
1.1 2003 albino boas het for snow
usa
Posted by XXX on February 18, 2004 at 19:55:54

Nice pair male is blind in 1 eye but feeds great and the female is flawless. They were produced by larry kenton at maryland reptile farm and both are het for snow. I am asking $1750.00 for the pair and would like to deliver them to the VA show saturday or the MD show on the 6th.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #82
BryonsBoas
Heres a new one

ok ive got 2 boas left....anery f and albino f....both great health...and eating,shedding fine....female albino is blind but donig fine...im asking 750 for albino and 200 for my anery...firm...thanx and god bless brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following was added on 02/18/04
im going 900 plus shipping....that a deal ...but i dont have pics at this time

Bryon Adzic

( Not MINE)

Old 03-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #83
The BoidSmith
Well...it started to show-up in the "other" strain

Quote:
1.1 Sharp Strain Albino Boas 5-6 Foot
Leechburg, PA
Posted by XXX (Contact Me!) on March 24, 2004 at 07:54:19
Registered PetHobbyist User since 2004-02-10

Click on thumbnails to view fullsize in a new window

I got a pair of '02 Sharp Strain Albinos for sale. Both are around 5 to 6 feet in lenght and pounding frozen thawed rats. The male has messed up eyes but they have been that way since birth. They have gotten better over the years. It has not affected his eating or growth. The pitcure lets you know that. The first pic is the female, second is the male. Third is a tail shot of the female. Credit cards, Cashier checks and Money orders are the only forms of payment accepted. Call (724) 283-8406 or email me. SERIOS INQUIRES ONLY.

Price: $8500 Shipped

Please SERIOS INQUIRES ONLY.
Please keep a watchful eye and create the awareness in anyone trying to breed albinos of the potential for this problem to happen.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:43 AM   #84
E2MacPets
With the spelling in that ad, I'd be more willing to bet on a scammer mislabeling his stock to get more money.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:47 AM   #85
The BoidSmith
Steven,

Yes, although I don't believe this to be the case. There are pictures of both the male and the female. The male even showing the eye problems.

Regards.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #86
E2MacPets
I didn't see the pictures so I couldn't verify my opinion of which strain it appeared to be. It does seem rather quick to be seeing deformed sharp strain albinos on the market though. And choosing the rarer of the two to sell it as is a marketing point. Why buy a common deformed albino when you can get a rare chance at the new kid on the block, even if it is deformed.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #87
The BoidSmith
There is no doubt they are Sharp's, and in my opinion the ad is legit.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #88
JJFOUTZ
Would it be better for breeders to sell hets or albinos for that matter as singles instead of a price for pairs? Selling them as singles would promote people to buy singles from multiple people and help mix the blood lines out there instead of making or atleast promoting buying related pairs for future breeding.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #89
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Would it be better for breeders to sell hets or albinos for that matter as singles instead of a price for pairs?
Ideally, yes.
The problem that is run into is females are, in the vast majority of cases, easier to sell than males. For instance you'll sell 1.2 much faster as a group than you will 2.1.
Breeders are often worried about getting stuck with a bunch of males, so to offset that possibility they require a male to be purchased with a female. You see this very often with snakes such as womas where there is a significant price difference between the sexes.
I did this myself for a long time, since it was the regular practice, but I finally realized I was inadvertantly encouraging inbreeding. If someone bought a pair from me I felt in many cases since they had a pair, they wouldn't bother getting another pair from another breeder for unrelated bloodlines.

I did come to a compromise on the issue for species where I have not yet acquired sufficiently diverse bloodlines. I price the sexes individually, but single females are more expensive than single males. I have found this results in several things happening. People that want an additional unrelated female for their colony can have one, and people who just want a pet snake will often opt for the less expensive single male. Of course the single pet issue would rarely apply with something like albino boas.

A responsible breeder however will avoid the issue entirely by having a diverse collection himself. If you have 2.2 unrelated breeders at a minimum, you can offer unrelated pairs. Going a step further and maintaining 4.4 unrelated individuals allows you to provide a founding colony of 2.2 unrelated specimens entirely from your own stock.
With the morphs, this is of course more difficult due to both the expense and the inherent lack of diversity in the bloodlines to begin with.
Breeders should do everything they can though to provide unrelated animals, and if they cannot then they shouldn't require the purchase of pairs.
Some try to take the cheap route and buy one founding male, make some hets and breed them back to the father, never adding any additional blood. Their offspring are already the products of related breedings, and are then sold as pairs to other prospective breeders.
The first priority for a breeder should always be to diversify their stock. Buy another animal, or trade offspring with another breeder whose lines aren't related to yours.

The person buying the siblings does bear some of the responsibility of the resulting inbreeding of course, but so does the initial breeder if he has made no effort to prevent it himself.
I do believe that eventually buyers will become more educated on these issues and begin requiring unrelated stock whenever possible. Once this happens, the breeders will begin to put more effort into building breeding colonies rather than pairs, so they can satisfy the buyers needs.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #90
The BoidSmith
Currenlty in Reptibid

The quote below is from an ad of a pair of boas that are up for sale in Reptibid (see picture)

Quote:
US $ 1000.00 (Reserve not met)

Time left: 1 Day 9 Hrs+
Started: Mon Apr 26, 09:17 PM
Ends: Mon May 10, 09:17 PM

Bids: 7 (bid history) (Started:US $ 500.00)

High bidder: Mfwoole (feedback 16 ) )

Seller information

Towertsk (feedback 0 ) )
Read feedback reviews
Ask seller a question or view Q&A
View seller's other items
Mail this auction to a friend

Seller: You may ban a user from bidding.
This item has been viewed times

Payment Options: PayPal, Personal Check, Money Order Shipping Terms: Buyer Pays Origin: Captive Born

Reptile Auction Description Seller you may update this Description, close or remove Item

I have 1 albino and 1 het that are unsexed with 1 bad eye each. Good Luck bidding

I have 1 albino and 1 het that are unsexed with 1 bad eye each. Good Luck bidding
Added by the Seller on Thu Apr 29, 09:33 PM:
Albino Boa just shed and it is a Female. Thanks
Added by the Seller on Fri Apr 30, 06:41 PM:
Reserve has been MET. Thanks
Added by the Seller on Sun May 02, 07:27 PM:
The Het is a MALE. So you are bidding on a pair 1.1 Thanks
Here is part of the Q & A that is taking place right now:

Quote:
Has the eye condition been addressed by a qualified reptile or exotic veterinarian? Were these eye problems caused by an external source or are they genetic maladies that these animals had when born?

Response on this item from (seller): Towertsk
Post on: Tue Apr 27, 10:21 AM
Sorry I dont have a buy it now option. The eye condition has not been checked by a vet they were born like that. Thanks

Question about this item from (buyer):
Post on: Fri May 07, 06:27 AM
The eye thing is obviously genetic if a couple have this problem out of a litter(probably inbreeding).

Response on this item from (seller): Towertsk
Post on: Fri May 07, 10:00 AM
Buyer why don't you put your username. Hmmmm is it because you dont know what you are talking about. The father (Albino) is bought directly from Pete Kahl early 2002 and the mother (het albino) was bought from a local breeder in 2000 so I don't think it is because of inbreeding.
What the seller doesn't understand is that because he is not line-breeding his two animals there is still a good likelihood that it is indeed a genetic deffect and that he has it in his animals.

What still puzzles me is why some people are still bidding on these animals. I also wonder who these "mfwoole" is, who always starts bidding with $500.

Regards.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!