Which dog is best over all? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

View Poll Results: Which of the following dog breeds are best overall in your opinion?
American Mastiff 0 0%
Newfoundland 0 0%
German Shepherd 0 0%
Great Pyrenees 1 25.00%
Bernese Mountain Dog 3 75.00%
Belgian Sheepdog 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
Chris Steele
Which dog is best over all?

Explain

Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Cat_72
Not enough information to "choose".....

It depends on why you want the dog, what your lifestyle and living arrangements are, and what you can give and expect to get back from the dog. Each of these breeds is wonderful in its own right, to say one is simply "better" than another would do a serious disjustice to the others.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
PaulSage
Hmmmm... well none of them would fit in the back seat of my MINI, so I'd have to chose "other". Chris, you might want to check out AKC's website (www.AmericanKennelClub.com) for links to each breed's descriptions and such. That might help you narrow down your options, or highlight one in particular. I'm not overly familiar with any of the breeds you have listed, but I had met two really nice Bernese at one of my jobs. They were very calm around people and other pets (dogs included).

Old 02-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Chris Steele
Well the dog doesn't have to be better for you to choose, I was just doing the poll to see which dog everyone prefers most and hoping that all kinds of experiences and such about them would be posted.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Lucille
But Cathy nailed it, there are so many different dogs for different purposes and lifestyles, there is no one 'best'. Someone else's preferences might be the last thing you need, perhaps you should go to the AC and other sites and look, and then figure out what you want in a dog and go from there.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Chris Steele
I've read every profile there. Any very social dog that likes to get around outside would fit me, I'm just curious as to what others prefer right now. I live in the country so space and exercise is nothing.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
cornchips
Then you want one that is loyal and smart and wont run off if left outside unsupervised? Do you want it as protection for yourself or your animals? Do you want an active dog or one that likes to lay around? You obviously want a big dog. Ive known a few newfoundlands and find them to be very friendly and rather lazy, dont know if they are prone to wandering though...I personally would go with a border collie or a rottie, my two favorite dogs..

Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
Ginger Ambrose
Border Collies are awesome dogs, and very trainable.
Newfies are just hugable big lugs.
Rotties are great as well with the proper training.
Australian Shepards are my favorites, while not as large as the breeds you have listed they are pound for pound an all around good dog. Herding, watchdog, companionship, as well as very trainable. The blue merle Aussie is just breath taking IMHO

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!