Heterozygous traits, how much would you pay for 100% reassurance? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this service?
$75 10 12.82%
$100 23 29.49%
$125 5 6.41%
$150 23 29.49%
I'd rather take my chances. 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
Heterozygous traits, how much would you pay for 100% reassurance?

Some consider reptile morphs beautiful animals in their own right. Some view them more as an investment and are mainly interested in breeding them for a profit. The appearance in the market of recessive normal-looking animals heterozygous for a certain morph has resulted in all kinds of discussions about origins, genetics, and if they truly are what they are claimed or normal animals sold as such by unscrupulous individuals.

Buying a baby reptile, raising it to maturity, breeding it and then discovering it’s not what it was claimed it’s highly frustrating to say the least. We invest money, hope, effort, and time into a venture with total uncertainty on the outcome until most of the time it’s too late. The individual that sold us the snake will not assume responsibility of what he had done and most of the time there is little legal recourse.

Now, if there was something that could be done and that would legally protect us while at the same time reassure us that we have in effect a heterozygous for such a morph, would you utilize such a service?

How much would it be worth to you to have the peace of mind than in those 4-5 years before we produce that first anxiously awaited clutch we will produce what in fact we were told and if not you have grounds for an easy lawsuit?

No, I’m not rambling, this is for real. Please take some time to think if you might use such a service. Think of all the time, effort, and expense you are putting during those years before you answer.

How much would you be willing to pay for that peace of mind and reassurance (yes, it's kind of an insurance) as a one time payment per animal. Please bear in mind that we are talking about expensive recessive heterozygous animals here, those that the visual morph will be worth between $1,000 and your most wildest ($$$) dreams! Just remember that you, the customer would be the one to pay for this service and not the breeder.

Please keep in mind that we always want to pay as little as possible. The question is actually asking "how much would it be worth to you" rather than how much would you be willing to pay.

Best regards,

Old 04-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
markface
i picked $150 . i would definately think that it would be worth it if i was going to buy a critter that i had hopes for future breeding . peace of mind is something that i can see spending a little extra money on .

Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Junkyard
So I buy an animal and pay a $150 insurance price. Would this insurance need to be purchased again by a third party if they were to buy the animal it from me?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Quote:
So I buy an animal and pay a $150 insurance price. Would this insurance need to be purchased again by a third party if they were to buy the animal it from me?
No, it can be transfered with the animal provided there's a picture ID that can unequivocally identify the animal.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
starwarsdad
Who would hold the "insurance"? Is this completely hypothetical?

I would rather buy from a trusted source and pay more than take my chances with a supposed bargain. I would not take a chance on a 66% het or 50% het period. To me, those animals are normal and would not command any premium for MY dollars.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
joepythons
vote

I voted for $100 because the only hets i have are a pair of 100% het albinos.Plus i trust the breeder on his guarantee that they are true hets.I also feel $100 is a fair price for insurance just in-case something does turn wrong since everyone does make mistakes.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 AM   #7
reptilebreeder
When it comes to hets, "you get what you paid for", and "if it seems to good to be true......." are theories I adhere to. So I'm only going to buy hets from someone I absolutely trust 110%, these are usually well known and respected people in the business. As such you are probably paying a higher price, so the guarantee is kind of "built in" to the price. OTOH, there are a lot of unknown breeders who are as honest and ethical as some of the well known breeders, many times their prices are cheaper, because they aren't selling a [known]reputation. The problem is if this insurance is going to tack on another $150 bucks or so, it may bump the price back up to the market price, so you might as well just pay the market price the known breeder is asking.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
I chose to label it as some sort of "insurance" although it's not strictly one. Something like I'm thinking off will favor the relatively small but yet honest breeder.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
Laura Fopiano
In a perfect world

To be honest, I didn't pick any price.....and would never by from an unknown source. I have suffered from a major loss last year, and have only recently bought from the best and most reliable breeders available.
We really have no true standard or AKC in our little corner of the world and beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak...so I could possibly see the idea as a tough sell.....hence my title...In a perfect world.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
I wouldn't use it myself. The way I look at it is if I have so little confidence in a sellers word that animals are hets that I need insurance to feel comfortable with the deal, then I'm not buying the snakes in the first place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!