Heterozygous traits, how much would you pay for 100% reassurance? - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this service?
$75 10 12.82%
$100 23 29.49%
$125 5 6.41%
$150 23 29.49%
I'd rather take my chances. 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #91
bcherps
Many of the genes currently worked with show good conservation(similiar dna strands no matter the species, or very similiar in a group of species). However, color and patterning of the skin has not been looked at a lot becuase it is not a major problem in people that cuases early death or has been linked to other traits.

Say you found that a pied mouse of such and such line proved to also have a heart defect, and that the pied coloration could not be seperated away from the heart defect then you betcha there would be some funding.

Thanks
ben cole

Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #92
akaangela
Did this go any where? Are we closer to genetic testing? I know this is an old thread but it really interests me. It would be worth it to me to be able to tell if my "poss het" was or was not as I have very limited space and don't want to loose 2-4 years with an animal that is not what I think it is. So sorry to bring up an old thread but I was just wondering.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #93
bcherps
I have not done anything recently. I am not spending as much time in the lab as I used to and have been so busy outside of work I have not gone in after hours to do anything.

the simple deal is to buy from credible breeders with a track record of producing the animals you are looking for.

Thanks
ben

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #94
Kaiyudsai
Before you can consider genetic testing.... research need to be done to map the genomes and identify all of these markers.... this would be more expensive than the human genome project....it will never be possible

there is only one way to avoid being ripped off.... Buy from people you trust 150 %.... I would never buy from a random person through an add.... because they wont have to answer for anything for 5 years

Also keep in mind that even 100 % hets can be bred together and still produce only normals...... if the odds go that way......

As far as 66% hets....... THat is the most retarted crap ever.... If you can't guarantee it, don't advertise it......

Old 01-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #95
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyudsai View Post
As far as 66% hets....... THat is the most retarted crap ever.... If you can't guarantee it, don't advertise it......
Well, I agree with most of your statement, but, retarded sounding or not, that's a legitimate term for offspring coming from two parents that are 100% het. Each offspring has that 66% chance of being 100% het.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #96
Paul Fisher
"retarded"... has been very, very good to me...

All of my albinos originate from 50% possible hets I bought...
This year I hatched out 17 pieds from 66% possible het females that proved out for me. If an honest person is advertising possible het animals, I would question the intelligence of those who won't consider them...
Paul Fisher
Pied Peddler

Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #97
ReptileJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyudsai View Post
Before you can consider genetic testing.... research need to be done to map the genomes and identify all of these markers.... this would be more expensive than the human genome project....it will never be possible

there is only one way to avoid being ripped off.... Buy from people you trust 150 %.... I would never buy from a random person through an add.... because they wont have to answer for anything for 5 years

Also keep in mind that even 100 % hets can be bred together and still produce only normals...... if the odds go that way......

WOW... to be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure where to start with this post...
How exactly do you figure that it would "be more expensive than the human genome project" to map the genome of a snake? You are aware that there have been quite a few MAJOR advancements in genetics research since the HGP was "completed" right? To say that it will "Never be Possible" to use genome mapping to determine whether a snake contains a gene or not is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've heard in quite a long time. In reality it would be VERY possible to do such a thing. They can map an individual's (human) genome these days for around $5000 - $10000 per genome, and that cost just goes down yearly.
Yes there would have to be a great deal of research done, and MANY genomes would have to be mapped in order to compile an accurate database from which mutations could be compared and studied, but to say that it would cost more than the human genome project is an ABSURD over-exaggeration of cost.

As far as advertising 50% or 66% POS HET animals, that is the ONLY way to accurately describe animals produced from 100% HET x Normal or 100% HET x 100% HET parents respectively. There is no way to determine outside of breeding to determine whether the offspring are HET or not (at this point at least). But there is either a 50% or 66% chance that EVERY one of those babies are in fact HET for the given trait. The odds that a baby is normal from a clutch produced from breeding 2 100% HET animals together is only 33%, so although it is possible to get all "Normal" babies, it is not likely. HOWEVER, you cannot physically SEE if the babies are HET or not, therefor they are considered 66% POS HET.
Before you go on a forum calling things "retarded", perhaps a little BASIC research is in order?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #98
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
WOW... to be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure where to start with this post...
How exactly do you figure that it would "be more expensive than the human genome project" to map the genome of a snake? You are aware that there have been quite a few MAJOR advancements in genetics research since the HGP was "completed" right? To say that it will "Never be Possible" to use genome mapping to determine whether a snake contains a gene or not is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've heard in quite a long time. In reality it would be VERY possible to do such a thing. They can map an individual's (human) genome these days for around $5000 - $10000 per genome, and that cost just goes down yearly.
Yes there would have to be a great deal of research done, and MANY genomes would have to be mapped in order to compile an accurate database from which mutations could be compared and studied, but to say that it would cost more than the human genome project is an ABSURD over-exaggeration of cost.

As far as advertising 50% or 66% POS HET animals, that is the ONLY way to accurately describe animals produced from 100% HET x Normal or 100% HET x 100% HET parents respectively. There is no way to determine outside of breeding to determine whether the offspring are HET or not (at this point at least). But there is either a 50% or 66% chance that EVERY one of those babies are in fact HET for the given trait. The odds that a baby is normal from a clutch produced from breeding 2 100% HET animals together is only 33%, so although it is possible to get all "Normal" babies, it is not likely. HOWEVER, you cannot physically SEE if the babies are HET or not, therefor they are considered 66% POS HET.
Before you go on a forum calling things "retarded", perhaps a little BASIC research is in order?
I left you an IM. ReptileJay... because this sort of crap should be kept that way. Isn't there enough drama in the forums

I stand by my views

Old 01-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #99
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Well, I agree with most of your statement, but, retarded sounding or not, that's a legitimate term for offspring coming from two parents that are 100% het. Each offspring has that 66% chance of being 100% het.
Let me rephrase that....... To sell an animal for an exorbent price because it has a chance of being something......... thats retarded

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #100
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post

Screw it.. I will explain myself..

1 more expensive than human genome mapping ---- why

you would have to map a huge sample size of each genus, species and subspecies to get some sort of reference standard for each species. humans are 1 species...and look how much work that took

after that you would have to sample individual animals within each species, subspecies etc to locate markers for traits(morphs etc)

you would have to keep this testing to date with the rapidly moving morph industry for any of this to actually have value for this purpose(which produces hundreds of new morphs each year)

you would have to find money to perform all of this testing to establish the basic gene maps..... which would probably cost millions or more..... and all that the expense before you can sell a service(say charging a person in the reptile industry to test their snake) which wouldn't be a little 20-30- dollar test. Simple genetic tests in a hospital laboratory say for Down's syndrome cost's 500-3000(according to Acadiana Reference Laboratories and depends on the sequencing method used)..... and that is on an established genome

WHY??? because we cant read the genes until we've figured out how they are arranged, what chromosomes are carrying what alleles.. etc... there has been some testing , mainly on the University level... but this information is not at all consolidated.......Permission would have to be given to use this research for such a purpose

GENETICS ARE MORE ADVANCED YES,,,,but you cant just take a sample....plug it into the snake morph database like they do in CSI... LOL

Analytical science and quantitative genetic analysis take vast research, huge sample sizes, and hours of tedious manual labor.......

OK so why would a genetic company take on this project???? there is certainly not much return...... there may be a few high end breeders that might benefit from this sort of service, but in most cases the test would cost more than the snake itself..

It's safe to say there are more pressing medical issues with a far better return I might add.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!