Heterozygous traits, how much would you pay for 100% reassurance? - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this service?
$75 10 12.82%
$100 23 29.49%
$125 5 6.41%
$150 23 29.49%
I'd rather take my chances. 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #101
crotalusadamanteus
Actually, I just saw a special on the science channel, where they have new techniques for this stuff, basically exploding the chromosomes into fragments with certain enzymes or whatever, and letting the new computing power we have these days, reassemble the pieces into the proper order, and it's is taking a fraction of the time that it once did. If we have come that far in this field, it stands to reason, that isolating a given trait is the very next step, and certain to not be nearly as expensive as it once was.

And actually, they are already isolating certain traits in some animals, removing them, and implanting these traits into other species. One of Japans best sellers are glowing fish, that have been genetically altered to be a bright neon glowing color. They can even make it be the color they want.

Personally, with all the technological advancements we've had the last decade, I see this sort of testing as a distinct possibility, and maybe even becoming quite affordable before long.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #102
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Sammy

Do me a favor and put this conversation somewhere, where you won't forget it. I will never forget Fauna, and the people here, and what they have done for me.
Someday, I'll take a picture of my study, and you'll see the hides of Texas scammers nailed to the wall by the new Texas Hammer.....
I promise you, the turnip will bleed.......

Lawyers aren't licensed to work outside of their states are they? Will you be? I would certainly hire you!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #103
ReptileJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Actually, I just saw a special on the science channel, where they have new techniques for this stuff, basically exploding the chromosomes into fragments with certain enzymes or whatever, and letting the new computing power we have these days, reassemble the pieces into the proper order, and it's is taking a fraction of the time that it once did. If we have come that far in this field, it stands to reason, that isolating a given trait is the very next step, and certain to not be nearly as expensive as it once was.

And actually, they are already isolating certain traits in some animals, removing them, and implanting these traits into other species. One of Japans best sellers are glowing fish, that have been genetically altered to be a bright neon glowing color. They can even make it be the color they want.

Personally, with all the technological advancements we've had the last decade, I see this sort of testing as a distinct possibility, and maybe even becoming quite affordable before long.

The new technique you're referring to is commonly referred to as the "Shotgun Approach" and was developed by J.Craig Venter while the HGP was underway. Unfortunately it took quite a while for this method of sequencing to catch on, since it went against what was "popular" at the time. Eventually, other scientists realized that there was no way they could compete with Venter's company without adapting his approach as their own as well. Sequencing is now pretty much limited by the speed at which computers can arrange the fragments.

I agree that it would be easy (albeit a lot of work) to develop a database in order to determine mutations in almost any animal.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #104
Tuxus
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Lawyers aren't licensed to work outside of their states are they? Will you be? I would certainly hire you!
Lawyers in some cases can practice out of state, it depends on state law, some require them to take the state's bar where as others permit licensed out of state lawyers to practice law if they have done so in another state for several years and the new state's highest court approves them. Another way this may happen I know of is in some states an out of state lawyer can represent a client with a motion to appear pro hac vice.

As for paying more for 100% reassurance on a 100% het....$0, why should I need such a thing if the selling is already guaranteeing 100%, if I needed such than I'm obviously buying from some shady character I shouldn't be.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #105
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay
The new technique you're referring to is commonly referred to as the "Shotgun Approach" and was developed by J.Craig Venter while the HGP was underway. Unfortunately it took quite a while for this method of sequencing to catch on, since it went against what was "popular" at the time. Eventually, other scientists realized that there was no way they could compete with Venter's company without adapting his approach as their own as well. Sequencing is now pretty much limited by the speed at which computers can arrange the fragments.
Yup, sounds just about what they said on the show too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxus
As for paying more for 100% reassurance on a 100% het....$0, why should I need such a thing if the selling is already guaranteeing 100%, if I needed such than I'm obviously buying from some shady character I shouldn't be.
I think it was meant for possible hets. Face it, they are either het, or they ain't. And if the testing was available and affordable, there would be no more possible hets, because the test would say either they are, or are not.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #106
Tuxus
crotalusadamanteus, about the testing, that was my thought as well.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #107
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Yup, sounds just about what they said on the show too.

I think it was meant for possible hets. Face it, they are either het, or they ain't. And if the testing was available and affordable, there would be no more possible hets, because the test would say either they are, or are not.
Yeah you're right....I guess we got off track a little...... thankfully I'm not a morph breeder so I never have to worry about this issue... I have this crazy idea that Locality bcc boas will be really hard to get one day, with the morph market diluting bloodlines.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!