ANOUNCEMENT! New 2007 Policies! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #51
Cat_72
For the most part, I agree with you, Josh. I enjoy giving "deals" to folks that I know can't afford a high-dollar animal.....but I would never sell it to them on the premise that they are going to make money from it. Especially when dealing with the very large snakes that they mainly work with, there is a lot more to consider about keeping them besides how much money you are going to make off from them.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #52
joshdhensley
If you are buying something based solely on how much money you are going to make off of it, you are buying for the wrong reason. Unless of course, you are an experianced and somewhat established breeder.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #53
gant77
I don't know if this has been covered, BUT if low income people are purchasing your animals what makes you think that they will even take care of it even with your help and advice? I really wish I knew how to word this delicately, but from my personal observations, I have known and met people in the situation you are describing and they don't even take proper care of their dogs and cats. It pissed me off to the point, that I went out and bought food for some of these animals. NO, these people are not friends or even aquaintences anymore. I mean there are people that have a dog and can't or won't even buy a $15 20lb bag of dog food. What happens when they can't afford the 15lb rabbits and such? I know you said you would help find low-cost food but how many "feeder breeders" will sell to you at a discount? They need to make money to. And as far as the irritation of being compared to MKR, they said virtually the same thing, they wanted to give back to the people at a cheaper rate with low-low payment plans. Plus, think of how many of these big snakes will end up in the SPCA's and reptile rescue's or even set free.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #54
bluesbayou
Josh

If your looking for Het Pieds, come see me at the end of the season in 09'
You will have to compete with all the kids though. I give snakes away that don't sell provided the parents say the kid can have it. They do have to work for them though. They do a complete report on the type of snake, habitat, care and then some thing else science related. Ever have a 9 year old tell you about Mendel - in great detail? It would blow your mind what some of these kids would do for a snake - and I feel good giving them to them. On the plus side, they will take over here when we are all to old to read the screen to boot! The majority of the kids I work with would never have gotten a pet snake they wanted if I didn't do this - it makes them prove to themselves, me and mom that they are willing to put the effort in the animal. - But for you Josh, I will just need to see the most current re-enlistment papers! Just bring them on down to SOI and tell 'em your looking for Gunny F - I'll be the guy yelling in the woods. Semper Fi.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #55
joshdhensley
Gunny Blue

Thanks alot. I actually just re-enlisted and will be in Pendelton on saturday for SOI instructor course!! Look me up if your in pendelton. If your in Jacksonville, I'm in Havelock (Cherry Point) until Saturday.

Sgt. Hensley, J.D.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #56
bluesbayou
Dang! I get home from the Sand Box (3/2) later this month, then I go to Instructor Shool in July on Geiger. So 09 may not be that bad of a deal! I'm sure I'll do a CAX or Mojave Viper (yes that's a real training exercise for us!) when I get back to the fleet. By then I should have some actual visuals and they should only be like $15 or so!lol Becareful in Pendelton, LLL is right out the south gate and they will take a paycheck quicker than you can blink!
Semper,
Blue

Old 01-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #57
joshdhensley
Yeah, I've spent a few bucks at LLL at differant times! My wife is from San Diego, so I've been to all the places out there. $15 for a visual huh! All I can say to that is SOLD!! Well, you have my email address both personal and military. Give me a yell sometime. Hopefully this season I will hatch some CB yellow saharan Uromastyx from some of the first american CB parents. We'll see. Let me know if you want some. (Free of charge of course!)

Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #58
Laura Fopiano
I find the whole idea exploitive and condescending at best!!

I am moving to a part of the country where the average yearly salary is much less then I am accustomed to. Does that make me poor and or less fornunate??
Heavens no! My wealth is not measured by dollars that I earn, but by the love and respect that I receive from my family, my partner, and my peers.

While this idea maybe about helping those less than others, maybe you and Tawny should donate some time helping the poor where it is needed. Give 4 hours a week at the Salvation army, serve food at a soup kitchen, and hand out Turkey dinners at a homeless shelter.........and then tell me how selling snakes to those less fortunate will have long term benefits.

Don't give a man a fish, teach him how to fish.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #59
BryonsBoas
I was going to stay out of this but after reading it I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. The idea of selling cheaply / payment plans to less fortunate is the most asinine idea I've heard of in quite some time.

Being in the area Laura spoke of I've been on both sides of the financial fence. I've been so broke my animals were on a revolving feeding schedule and I've been well off enough that everything was squared up weekly.

Considering who your target is I think your playing on the same field the " lottery " and " get rich quick infomercials " dance on.These are the people who live houses falling apart and can't always afford a heating bill much less repairs on their house. These are also the folks who generally drive cars that are sold on the side of the road for a hundred bucks and drive it till it dies , hitch rides or catch buses to work till they can scrape up enough to afford another beater. Most times they buy the cheapest food they can to feed themselves since $6 an hour after taxes don't stretch far .

Since they can barely afford themselves how are they to afford caging upgrades , proper heating and controlling devices , proper vet visits if any are needed ( keep in mind that alot of these are on state assistance for their own medical ) and since they probably can't afford proper caging for the animals they buy from you how will they house the babies they would produce? If egg layers then theres more money to whip up a cheap incubator and cross fingers it works since a good one is probably more than they could afford. Then we get into the computer with internet service so they can post ads and don't forget the phone (most likely on prepaid cards so now more money for more minutes ) to handle inquires . All of a sudden these poor folks gotta crap money they don't have , didn't have and can't get over your idea of breeding snakes for a better life.
Should I start watching late night TV for the next 30 minute spot on " High End Herps Breeding Pythons for a Better Life " ?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #60
LadyOhh
My question is, and if this is been addressed already, please feel free to let me know...

HOW DO YOU INTEND TO DECIPHER WHO IS LOW INCOME AND WHO IS NOT?

Are you going to ask for a paystub? Tax report? Credit report, etc?

It seems like discrimination to me in some ways, and a huge problem to most people who may think they are low-income (different states, different costs of living) and may not fall into your categories...

I skimmed thru this thread, but the more I saw, the more appalled I was.

I completely agree with Laura on this one. Go do something more productive if you need to get a "feel good" from doing something good for people. Volunteer at a hospital, Habitat for Humanity, travel to another country and help the poor there, etc... I have done it, and I have to say that it is much more rewarding than selling reptiles to "low income" families. (Although I do love it. It is a different kind of high than Herping, but I digress)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread