Nebraska Bill constricts snake sellers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
EricWI
Nebraska Bill constricts snake sellers

About 100 cages of reticulated pythons line the walls of a Norfolk reptile breeding facility.

Reticulated pythons are one of the world's largest snakes — many of the constrictors reach up to 15 feet long. Some lie in their warm cages protecting a dozen eggs. The hatchlings, when grown, will be shipped as pets to people across the United States.

But breeder Travis Kubes' 10-year hobby could be in trouble if Nebraska adopts statewide restrictions on exotic animals.

Nebraska is one of the few states that do not regulate reptile pet ownership. In much of the state people can, for example, own a 15-foot venomous snake. But if Legislative Bill 64 passes, Kubes' snakes could no longer be bred or sold in Nebraska.

State Sen. Abby Cornett of Bellevue introduced LB 64 after a Papillion man was strangled last summer by his pet 9-foot red-tailed boa constrictor.

Omaha already has a city ordinance prohibiting ownership of snakes longer than 8 feet, and venomous snakes aren't allowed either. Council Bluffs restricts venomous snakes as well as constrictors.

In Papillion — where Cory Byrne died in 2010 — no ordinance regulates the length of snakes kept as pets.

Cornett's proposal would restrict pet snake length statewide to 8 feet and prohibit owning venomous snakes. The bill would require that any Nebraskan seeking to own a wild animal first must obtain a permit and $250,000 in exotic animal liability insurance, which may have to be obtained from an insurer other than the person's homeowner's insurance provider. (Not all providers will write policies covering dangerous animals.)

The owner of a wild pet also would be required to publicly display a sign stating that possibly dangerous wildlife was on the premises. Someone who already owns a wild pet would be exempted until he or she buys a new wild pet. Iowa already enforces registration and requires the public signs and insurance.

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission officials said they plan to meet with Cornett this month to improve the legislation. Cornett said the bill could be delayed until next year's legislative session, giving her time to find ways to lower the bill's enforcement costs, estimated at more than $300,000 per year.

Under the bill's current language, Game and Parks would be responsible for issuing permits that cost no more than $65 a year, regardless of enforcement costs.

The agency opposed the bill at a hearing last month.

“What it attempted to accomplish wasn't necessarily accomplished within the bill,” said Jim Douglas, deputy director of Game and Parks.

The Nebraska Humane Society asked Cornett to propose LB 64.

Over the past six years the Humane Society has captured, among others, a few loose alligators and two 10-foot pythons. Kristie Biodrowski, the society's field director, said the bill would require wild reptile owners to be responsible for the costs of capturing animals that escape.

It is unfair for the Humane Society to shoulder the costs, she said, and “it is an important bill to protect the safety of citizens.”

“People may not understand the special needs a large animal might have,” she said. “And large snakes and alligators can pose a danger to the public.”

Iowa and 19 other states ban the private ownership of animals considered dangerous, including nondomesticated felines, wolves, bears, reptiles and nonhuman primates.

But Glenn Eisel, vice president of the Nebraska Herpetological Society, said that even the Nebraska approach — particularly the required permit and insurance — could dramatically hurt his sales of boa constrictor imperator, or the nonvenomous common northern boa.

“No one is going to buy a boa constrictor if they have to pay possibly $500 or more in (insurance) fees per year,” Eisel said. “And the signage out front of all entrances is going to increase the nosiness of the neighbors.”

Kubes and Eisel both said proper handling and care of snakes is important. Both have studied snakes for years and teach people how to safely handle them at reptile shows.

Eisel stressed that Byrne's death last year was a result of improper handling, pointing out that Byrne had the snake around his neck while showing it to a friend.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln herpetologist Dennis Ferraro said Byrne's death was a rare occurrence but said snakes are not meant to be pets.

Ferraro has seven of Nebraska's native venomous snakes, mostly rattlesnakes, in captivity at a UNL lab for research purposes. The cages have combination locks.

“The bill doesn't stop people from having snakes in their home, and that's where there have been problems,” Ferraro said. “They are not a companion pet, but if the person learns about the animal, they could contribute to conservation.”
http://www.omaha.com/article/2011030.../703079908/197

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
BobOblak
"Cornett's proposal would restrict pet snake length statewide to 8 feet and prohibit owning venomous snakes. The bill would require that any Nebraskan seeking to own a wild animal first must obtain a permit and $250,000 in exotic animal liability insurance, which may have to be obtained from an insurer other than the person's homeowner's insurance provider. (Not all providers will write policies covering dangerous animals.)"

The way I read this is that hots and snakes over 8 ft. are banned, period. The licensing and insurance requirements would apply to the remaining ALLOWED snakes UNDER 8 ft (and the other applicable "wild animals"). Can someone from that state please clarify?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
WingedWolf
No, Bob, the permits would be required for constrictors over 8 feet, and venomous species. Also listed are croc monitors, water monitors, and (inexplicably) green iguanas. If the bill were to pass, all of these animals would be considered 'wild animals' that require a permit, expensive liability insurance, and a posted sign warning people that dangerous wildlife is present on the property. Currently reptiles are considered pets in Nebraska, not wildlife.

We went to the hearing. The people involved seemed very interested in hearing from the herp community and the other speakers, including a fellow who keeps zebras, and wouldn't be able to afford the insurance because he just sank all his money into new barns. We also heard from a small cat person who supported the bill because it would allow people to get small wildcats in Nebraska with a permit. Currently they are banned altogether.

This bill is going to be very expensive to enforce, and the Game and Parks department is also concerned because licensing pet owners really is NOT part of what they're supposed to be doing. So, Game and Parks is on our side in this.

I got to see Travis Kube's animals at the last meeting--he did a presentation there. They're absolutely gorgeous.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
BobOblak
I cant think of a single incident anywhere in which someone was attacked or in anyway harmed by any type of escaped reptile off of the owners property. When its on the owners property, it almost always the owner or keeper that is attacked, usually doing something reckless. The two cases I can think of in which children of the owners were allegedly killed are doubtful at best and there were a lot of other inappropriate activities going on in those households that implicate the parents. AND this must have been the FIRST TIME in the history of the world in which a Boa constrictor was involved in a death (Byrne's). And every such "attack" I can think of took place INSIDE of a building, so escape was never an issue. The general public is NEVER at risk in cases involving reptiles. Was any of this ever pointed out to the legislators at the hearing?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
WingedWolf
The folks at Nebraska Herpetological society did a good job presenting their points, but there were a few things I wish had been said that weren't got to (if I'd known, I would have gone up and spoken myself, but by the time I realized that important point about the boa had been left out, it was too late for me to do so). However, I had sent the committee members an e-mail previously which stated exactly that, and I was assured it was printed, and placed in the folder with the Bill. So, hopefully they've got that information and read it.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
futureherpbreeder
It is unfair for the Humane Society to shoulder the costs, she said, and “it is an important bill to protect the safety of citizens.”

Oh boo hoo, less than 6 calls a year?

I'm pretty sure they could find a few Herpers around on hand that would love to go capture them for free of charge!

Man all this banning gets me all riled up!

Josh Carlson

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
futureherpbreeder
See, it gets me so angry, I messed up! Less than a call a year, 5 calls in 6 years!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
reptilebaby
Did this pass?
I hope to god, not!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!