Blackheads - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brongersmai View Post
Congrats man they are amazing animals. On the subject of indigos they seem to be quickly growing in popularity. I need to figure out what the laws are in Maryland.
Indigos are VERY cool. I have a few Texas indigos that I paired this year but not sure if they took. They are very interactive though, they love coming out and exploring or being held.

Unless I'm wrong most states just require you file for an ownership form. You have to have experience breeding and say that you plan on breeding them (dont ask me why). Then you send in the form and get a license back from fish and wildlife. That's only for the easterns, as far as I know there are no limitations on Texas indigos outside of Texas. The only reason for the strict requirements on easterns is because they're endangered.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
Brongersmai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
Indigos are VERY cool. I have a few Texas indigos that I paired this year but not sure if they took. They are very interactive though, they love coming out and exploring or being held.

Unless I'm wrong most states just require you file for an ownership form. You have to have experience breeding and say that you plan on breeding them (dont ask me why). Then you send in the form and get a license back from fish and wildlife. That's only for the easterns, as far as I know there are no limitations on Texas indigos outside of Texas. The only reason for the strict requirements on easterns is because they're endangered.
Sorry for the thread derail but I keep wondering something about these snakes so I'll just ask here. Is there any appreciable differences in temperament or behavior with the texas vs easterns?

Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brongersmai View Post
Sorry for the thread derail but I keep wondering something about these snakes so I'll just ask here. Is there any appreciable differences in temperament or behavior with the texas vs easterns?
They seem very similar to me as far as personality is concerned. I only have a few of each though, maybe someone who has dealt with a ton of them would feel differently.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
tim brophy
For eastern indigos, you need to secure an Interstate Commerce Permit if you purchase one out of your state. This permit is issued by US Fish and Wildlife Service (federal agency) and has a $100 fee for application processing. Very simple application, I have secured these permits numerous times. You will have to identify your seller, however, as part of the permit process.
Each state may have its own requirements. Some require no state permit, others require a state permit. Very difficult or impossible to secure state permits in Georgia or Florida, which are within range of easterns. Not sure about Alabama.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
tim brophy
Blackheads are cool. Offer one a snake to eat, then get out of the way!!

Old 02-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim brophy View Post
Blackheads are cool. Offer one a snake to eat, then get out of the way!!
I've never fed a snake to a snake...I know it happens in the wild all the time but I get attached to my guys haha. That's why I had to stop breeding rats and mice, half of them ended up being "growups" aka pets.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #17
tim brophy
Try one that has died in the egg, or a roadkill which has been frozen for a few months. BHPs are naturally snake and lizard feeders. I would not feed a living snake to a snake either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!