4" or 11"?? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
RonzRoyalz
I'm such an idiot!! What if I lowered my low temp warning 8*? So if my stat temp shows 105* and my low temp warning is 97*, then I'm able to pull the tub out to do my daily routine without the temp warning sounding off? That'll work right? But still want to know about keeping the probe between the heat and foil tape.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
stevek123
Just my opinion Ron, I did read that heat tape should not be totally enclosed, that at least one of the two sides should be exposed so it can "breath". I place the probe on top of the heat tape and tape over the probe completely. Aside from the probe placement the rest of the tape is exposed on the top. I have reflective aluminum tape on the bottom, and use aluminum tape to secure the heat tape sides, being careful not to cover over the metallic strip that runs down the length of each side of the heat tape.

I use a helix so I don't have an alarm, but what you said sounds like it should work.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
JustChad04
Wish Helix had an alarm that sounds great!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
stevek123
just out of curiosity, what are you using for tubs?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
RonzRoyalz
Thanks for the quick replies yall. Steve, I'm using the 41qt sterilite tubs. I did have my foil tape on bottom and along each side and not touching the silver strip on each side, but it's covered with plastic so I didn't think it would matter and saw others cover it completely to keep wear down on the tape as the tub slides over.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
stevek123
I find sterlite tubs tough to heat as they have that raised edge going all around it. I do use iris cb-70's but the problem is finding them, plus they are more expensive. But the iris are easier to clean as sturdier.

I haven't had an issue with tape wearing. If I get concerned I will add another layer of two of the aluminum tape along the sides so the tub bottoms can slide over a little higher. My belief is the higher the tub bottom is from the tape the harder it will be to heat it. Put a layer of anything inbetween the tub and the tape and its harder still.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
RonzRoyalz
Yeah these sterilites are easy to get, from big lots, $10 ea. Anyway, just pulled the tub out where the probe is and it dropped about 4* without the alarm sounding off. So I'll have enough time to check the kids over before the alarm goes off. Wow, talking out your problems really does help. I'll have to tell my therapist that I agree with her.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
stevek123
ha, ha.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
RonzRoyalz
Sooo much happier!! Got my 11" tape hooked up and my stat temp is set at 93* and my inside tub temp is 88-89* vs the 4" at 107* for 88-89*

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Montoya
Glad to hear it. You will be happier for going that route than the two pieces of 3". It will provide a larger heating area and more stable temps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!