FedEx shippers...where do you drop your packages off at? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
KathyLove
I always go to the main FedEx office, not a Kinko's. It is way too hot in Florida to allow the boxes outside any longer than necessary, or to ride around in a hot truck. I always carry a copy of my waiver with me, although I only needed it once.

I always label mine with common and scientific names, but as inconspicuously as possible. I might write "2 corns" off on one side, not too big or noticeable, but there to see if you look. And then the scientific name on another side of the box. I want to keep them legal, but it is unlikely most people would notice or figure out what they are, unless they are looking for it. I feel the animals are better off if nobody notices they are there. From what I have heard from people who work at UPS FedEx, etc, I think it would be highly unusual for them to get special care, and more likely for them to suffer more throwing around than usual if a snake hater happens to notice what they are.

We are probably lucky that most people (including FedEx employees) don't know we ship with FedEx. If the humaniac groups think we have found a way to stay in business, they will make it their business to harass FedEx into dumping us if they can manage it.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #22
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyLove
I always label mine with common and scientific names, but as inconspicuously as possible. I might write "2 corns" off on one side, not too big or noticeable, but there to see if you look. And then the scientific name on another side of the box. I want to keep them legal, but it is unlikely most people would notice or figure out what they are, unless they are looking for it.
I do the same, Kathy. I use permanent marker to clearly label the box with LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE along the top of both sides and, in the upper left hand corner, I use a fine point pen and small print to state the common and scientific names...I would be surprised if anybody has ever noticed it.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #23
KathyLove
When I write "live harmless reptile", I also write that in pen, no bigger than I have to. It already says PERISHABLE on the box - I would prefer not to be any more obvious than I have to. Not only do I want to avoid FedEx snake haters, but some customers get their box at work and want to keep it low key.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #24
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I think I knew the regulation required I write both the scientific name and the common name~ but I actually had forgotten that ~probably because I wanted to forget it~ but now that you bring it up again I think I did know it. I've been labeling the boxes with MOST of the scientific name in order to keep people from knowing whats actually in the box and still conform (mostly) to the Law~ in tiny print~ 1.1 Reguis (yes~ I intentionally forget the "Python" part of "Python Reguis") or 1.1 Elaphe Guttata~ but as I recall I used to also put a slash behind and part of the common name too~ such as "1.1 Reguis/Ball" or "1.1 Elaphe Guttata/Corn". Now that you have reminded me I will put the slash in and the common name as well......but if there is anyway I can wiggle out of it I'm not writing "PYTHON" or "SNAKE" anywhere on the box where just anyone can see it. Too many people are likely to abuse the box for that reason alone.

I no longer label the boxes as "Live Harmless Reptile" either~ I know I'm supposed too.......but I don't (and this was actually suggested to me by someone in the live animal dept of FedEx~ but of course he would not put that in writing for me.....he just suggested it). I label them as "perishable" and "PLEASE protect from temp extremes"~ again.....I just beleive the box gets more grief (abuse and or refusals mid trip) when it's too obvious there is something that the handler may wish to see dead in the box.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #25
ColleenT
i have to agree, i am not willing to draw attention to what is in the box. too many stolen and dead reptiles. but i will comply with a very thin point pen in a small corner of the box. very small.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #26
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
It may be required for certified shipping, but it's also required that packages only be sent to businesses and not to a residence, and that one is violated 95% of the time.
I believe they dropped that requirement as I got my waiver of liability from Fed-Ex two weeks ago and it no longer says anything about business vs. residential addresses.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!