The wild, wild, west! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Mike Greathouse
The wild, wild, west!

To quote an old movie:

Quote:
People who really want to have a good time won't come to a slaughterhouse.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40 year old adolescents, felons, power drinkers, and trustees of modern chemistry.
I, for one, would like to see a return to a more "moderated" Board of Inquiry.
This site-wide "Hell" forum does not appeal to me, and I feel that it detracts from the dignity and original purpose of this site.

just venting....

Old 11-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
WebSlave
Well it proved to be too much work, not enough pay, made me the target of untold numbers of hate emails and PMs, and in the end proved to be detrimental to the BOI in general by not allowing people's TRUE personality show through.

I caught an incredible amount of antagonism and abuse from people who felt they had a RIGHT to post derogatory and abusive messages on this site. I have been belittled and maligned for requiring paid members only to have the ability to post on the BOI in order to filter out most (if not all) of the false registrations that plagued it before and after, in an effort to make it more credible. And quite frankly the pittance I received did help pay for some of the effort I had to expend in order to do the cleanup, if not in the amount, but the gestures made by the people paying the fee. I saw plain and obvious signs that traffic was declining because of people just flat out refusing to pay the minimum $10 in order to help fund the effort required to do what I felt was needed to be done. When I noted the number of people declining to renew their paid memberships, it was a clear signal to me, that the value of the BOI to them, as I was trying to make it in my cleanup efforts, was not quite the price I had set.

I can't say you are all getting what you want here, but you ARE getting what your (in a broad general sense, no one in particular) actions have indicated you asked for. Yes, I am not happy with the way the BOI has become at all, and I know it could be "better". But from the results of the required paid memberships and the flak I caught because of it, the effort needed to reach that goal is not worth the pain it would take (on my part, for free) to get there.

I have learned my lesson, and I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever to repeat that attempt again.

Again, this is not directed at any one person. This is the result of a balance sheet of factors covering every aspect of this site and the conclusions I had to come to based on those factors.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Mike Greathouse
Rich,
I doubt that many will argue that the gains (not necessarily monetary gains) of running this board are overshadowed by the hassle factor. However, with all of the supporters that have stepped up, is there not a happy median somewhere?

The current "flavor" of this site is far and away from what it once was and could be again.

I have been a loyal supporter of this site for a long time, but in all honesty, I find myself spending less and less time here, as a good number of the threads are barely more then sophomoric pissing matches.

It would seem that with just a small amount of moderation, some of this could be held in check. I personally feel that those who want a wide open forum to express themselves are the minority and not the majority. This would seem to be supported by the comments being made in several threads recently questioning the direction of this site.

Of course, I will not discount the possibility that I am the minority and perhaps I am trying to save something that does not want to be saved.

Either way, I have stated my opinion.

Thank you for listening.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Casey Hulse
Rich, I understand a little of what you have dealt with re. this site (the BOI) because I have been here for a while, but new people who visit the site and view the "top" threads on the BOI would probably agree with Mike, they seem to be nothing more than "pissing" matches by a few people who have too much time on their hands and have no vested interest in seeing this site thrive. I have pm'd one or two people who seem to try to "bully" others with insults, etc., and they as a rule become more antagonistic.
I agree with Mike, it would be nice to find a "middle ground." Lots of us have always supported your decisions and I am sure it will continue.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yep, and a lot have fought every decision I have made. No matter what it was.

Sorry, but there is no way to draw a line in the sand ANYWHERE without someone saying it is too far in their direction and unfair. And others will say "I saw Johnnie cross that line and didn't get punished, so why was I?" Been there, done that.

I've been doing this BOI thing for what, 7 years or more? Heck, the last few years have been like one eternal root canal........

Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
starwarsdad
Roadhouse

Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
Laura Fopiano
Rich

I have supported this sight and all of the changes that it has been through....my thought are that we are American's, that being said, there is way too much sensorship in our world to begin with...were we not founded on freedom of speech? No I do not condone the behaviors of all of the members here, and have recently outed a person for lying and bypassing their fine and suspension. I was not tickled pink to do it, however, when I was put to the test of the integrity of this sight I choose to do so out of loyalty to you and the people that I have come to know as family.

You have a very rare and wonderful thing here and I am not just trying to blow smoke here. You have said it before....give someone enough rope and they will eventually hang by it. I have seen this happen most recently.

I was proud to be a moderator here, made a hasty decision and have regretted it ever since. There are a lot of good people here and it would be a real shame and loss to the reptile industry to loose this sight. I will always pony up my coin because I believe in what it stands for. Thank you so much.

And Connie....thank you for sharing your husband with us. You have put up with more grief than most would and I for one will be ever grateful

Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
bamasmith
I AM LEAVING THIS SITE COMPLETELY. I have another site that I frequent because the people there are good and ARE ALWAYS willing to help others.Profanity-laced attacks are not tolerated and smear campaigns do not happen. I would really like this site to succeed and I hope all the decent people will ignore the a-holes that are on here.Do'nt reply to anything they post.It drives them CRAZY If this site could be as accountable as Bob Clarks forums, it would continue to grow.But I feel that it is too far down the drain now for that to happen.And that is a shame.I hope all of you enjoy your day.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasmith
I AM LEAVING THIS SITE COMPLETELY. I have another site that I frequent because the people there are good and ARE ALWAYS willing to help others.Profanity-laced attacks are not tolerated and smear campaigns do not happen. I would really like this site to succeed and I hope all the decent people will ignore the a-holes that are on here.Do'nt reply to anything they post.It drives them CRAZY If this site could be as accountable as Bob Clarks forums, it would continue to grow.But I feel that it is too far down the drain now for that to happen.And that is a shame.I hope all of you enjoy your day.

The BIG double doors to your left are the quickest way out, please do not hesitate to use them.

Oh, the one on the left swings shut REALLY fast, don't let it hit you on the ass on your way out.

How is Evan's prostate, by the way? Nice and cuddly?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Laura Fopiano
Justin

Although this sight may be known for the BOI, there is much more to it than just that. Have you been to any of the other forums here and asked for help on a given subject?? Have you offered any help?

Bob Clark's forums may be okay, but I never receive spam from this sight! Just some things to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasmith

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!