how to introduce breeding couple of crested geckos? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
crestedgecko17
how to introduce breeding couple of crested geckos?

Hi I just got a nice male from my local breeder and he said keep it seperate for 30 days before introducing the female. He said its to make sure hes healthy with the changes. He is about 18 months old.

My female left unfertil eggs a few days ago so i know she's good

Should I wait 30days?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Helenthereef
I'd think it's always a good idea to quarantine a new animal in case of disease, whether you are breeding or not. If he's still healthy after that, then at least you know he's not going to pass on any nasties.....

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
mialma09
Me and my wife just started breeding Cresteds and we have three new healthy babies that just hatched but if she just laid infertile eggs a few days ago I would at least give her several weeks to relax and beef up a little more weight and get some food in her before you go introducing him right away. They exert a lot of energy from laying eggs so try offering dusted crickets or dubia as well to add a little extra fat other than CGD. If you wanna see our new babies its the post under here that says 2 new additions and the one that says squeakers that my wife named.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
mialma09
Also just because they lay infertile eggs doesnt mean that they are always good because they could be poorly calcified also which is an indicator that she doesnt have enough calcium plus D3 in her diet and if that were the case and she laid fertile eggs the babies probably wouldnt make it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
crestedgecko17
I've had her for about 6 years now and she's been on a dusted cricket, baby food, and calcium diet. She's laid eggs that have turned into beautiful cresties.

She's been alone in her cage since the male died which was about a year ago.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
mialma09
Well it sounds like she must be doing alright and typically baby food should only be a treat for the most part like once every week or two for cresteds and then the rest repashy CGD because it has everything they need in it. But if that has been working well for you why stop though. 6 years sounds like a good amount of time though, I personally would let mine retire if it were pushing 6 or 7 but as long as she is at a healthy weight it should be good.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
crestedgecko17
I plan to keep her with a male for another season possibly two. Shes at 45grams at the moment and produces some nice babies.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
mialma09
Well thats good do you have any pics of them I would like to see what they look like

Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
crestedgecko17
Yeah! I'll try to take some later tonight or tomorrow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!