Unresponsive hatchling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
mainelyreps
Unresponsive hatchling

I have a hatchling African Fattail gecko which was born 2 weeks ago today(6/2/2004). Since then it has only eaten once and refuses to take any more food. I've been trying to hand feed it everyday twice a day and it refuses to take any of the crickets I've been offering it. I have been feeding all of my hatchlings 1/2" crickets. I have been trying to keep it hydrated using Pedialyte or spring water. It was eagerly taking fluids until last night where it literally turned it's nose away from it. I've even used Appetite Plus by Nature Zone. I've had success with this in the past but not with this particular gecko. I have just checked in on it and it does not look as though it may last the day. This is an appeal to any and all who may have been in the same situation asking what couse of action I should take.
Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Jodi L Aherns
What are your temps in the cage?
What kind of substrate ?

Old 06-17-2004, 12:09 AM   #3
mainelyreps
Temps are usually between 83 to 85F with 83F being the average. They are being kept in 4qt. plastic shoeboxes with adequate ventilation. Substrate is white paper towels which I have been lightly misting daily. I have been keeping two per shoebox by clutch and hatch date for identification purposes. This particular hatchling has been separated from it's clutchmate and placed in it's own enclosure when I realized there was a problem with it. I am maintaining this one in the same manner as the others. I have a total of 12 hatchlings so far and all but this one are doing extremely well: appetites are great and all have had their first sheds.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
progeckos
I would raise the temp to about 88-90. Fat-tails like warmer conditions more so than leos do. I keep my fat-taisl in a shoebox Rubbermaid with a substrate of moist paper towel. I feed my babies a diet of lobster roaches out of a little Petri dish. If their new hatchlings you might want to try a little bit smaller cricket. Half inch crickets are big. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!