Karma - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #11
Black Adder
Good idea Lucille
Looks like January 4th
Ah well, time to open my wallet again...lol

Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
Good idea Lucille
Looks like January 4th
Ah well, time to open my wallet again...lol
It's for a good cause.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
Black Adder
You would not happen to be slightly biased in that opinion would you Webslave?

Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
You would not happen to be slightly biased in that opinion would you Webslave?
That is actually a very interesting question and I had to pause for a bit to think about it. Actually I am STILL thinking about it.

Would I rather that people continue supporting this site financially so it can remain alive, or would it actually be better for me in retirement if member contributed funds dried up and I had to pull the plug, and become FULLY retired? At the moment, I really don't have a firm answer to that deeper than expected question. I'm guessing I could probably live with either scenario, but I suppose it would be painful to see this site die after all I have put into it the past 15 years or so.

So I guess that literally that is what people are voting for with their contributions here.

So what is the "good cause" I mentioned? Because I am assuming that a modest number of people would miss this site if it were gone. Theirs, and yours, votes count. If everyone is expecting the "other guy" to help pay the bills, perhaps one day they will try to come to this site, and find out that it just wasn't enough.

Anyway, thanks for the "thought for the day" you have provided for me.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
Black Adder
Aw shucks!
You are welcome anytime.
Now...
Does that get me a discount?
Lol.
Seriously though, I will be continuing my support as this site would be sorely missed by those who need it.
Keep it up as long as you can abide to sir.
We are with you!

Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
If everyone is expecting the "other guy" to help pay the bills, perhaps one day they will try to come to this site, and find out that it just wasn't enough.
I wondered why you removed the requirement that only contributors can post classifieds. The basic membership is peanuts, and hopefully, would prevent your having to pull the plug.

That said, I should probably check the expiration of mine.

Kathy

Old 01-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
I wondered why you removed the requirement that only contributors can post classifieds. The basic membership is peanuts, and hopefully, would prevent your having to pull the plug.

That said, I should probably check the expiration of mine.

Kathy
The contributor requirement I tried in the classifieds for a short period proved to be a nearly fatal mistake. It would have proved to be the undoing of this site had I not gotten rid of that requirement as soon as the results were becoming clear to me. I thought that having a bit of verification via PayPal for people placing classified ads would have been a notable benefit to most people, but that did not appear to be the case. Or perhaps the reasoning was not recognized, much less accepted.

My same like reasoning went along with the also short period of time requiring contributor level membership to participate in the Board Of Inquiry, and that met with the same resistance and subsequent fate. Heck, I thought some people were going to look me up and lynch me on my front lawn. I even went so far as to set up a special member group that was only $10 for 10 years to mitigate the lack of support for what I was trying to accomplish concerning some form of verifiable ID. All to no avail.

So I have my scars and know now what my constraints are for trying to keep this site afloat financially. I learned my lessons the hard way. The basics MUST be free, and people are only willing to pay for some bells and whistles that they find useful. And, of course, that is if we are not talking about an outright contribution in support of this site which quite a few people have apparently been willing to do over the years. But even that support vanishes in a heartbeat if those basic functions become no longer free and their perception of this site changes as a result.

It's all in your (collectively) hands now. I can keep this site running as long as I am alive and it is operating well in the black, or I can let it go if it becomes a financial drain and find something else to do with my time. No matter which way it goes, I feel I can justify my being able to face either situation thinking I did the best I could. I am, after all, just the vote counter now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!