Worried about my Gargoyle gecko, help wanted - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Nollie
Worried about my Gargoyle gecko, help wanted

I have a gargoyle gecko that was around 6.5 grams and just started losing weight, (down to 6 grams from about a week ago). I've had him for almost four weeks in a 20x12x10 vertically oriented Zilla Critter Cage. Two other cresteds and a sarasinorum that are smaller in same setup seem to be doing fine. Temp stays 70-75 and I mist them about three times a day. The gargoyle hasn't shown interest in crickets or roaches of any size, offer cgd nightly, was gaining weight at first but now i'm worried. Smaller home reccomended?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Robin Mazz
put it in a small plastic container by itself. Use some papertowels as bedding and keep one side moist. Put a piece of bark for it to climb on. don't over feed insects. Ive raised them on repashy diet alone. Should be kept at around 80 degrees.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Nollie
I think I solved it the first night just putting a cardboard divider between it and the next terrarium. It was always on its own but I think the stress came after setting up a new shelf system. I had already made a smaller home for it and weighed it before I put it in there, back up to 6.6 already. Gonna leave it in the smaller home for a while to monitor it anyways. Are big terrariums bad? One care sheet said use this size home (medium critter keeper) until 10 grams.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Mimmieux
Big terrariums aren't necessarily bad, but you should accommodate your gecko as it grows. The Kritter Keeper will be fine for now. And don't be alarmed about losing weight. Drastic weight loss is around 5 or 7 grams in a short period of time. Weight fluctuates with geckos just as it does for people, so there's really nothing to be worried about.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
312Herps
I agree with Kendyl , geckos will go up and down in weight . Try cutting back to watering 2 times a day rather than 3 it may have something to do with it . If raised individually some geckos can grow to being better off independent of living mates. Stress can make a gecko lose weight also . Keep the gecko monitored and you should be good . IMO the enclosure you have it in is a slight to big for that gecko. Might be better off with something 2/3 the size of it's enclosure. Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!