Indigo umbilical scar - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Stanley M. Ordonez
split scales

I will be posting some pics of split scales in Indigos. There needs to be more on this topic. There seems to be a strong correlation between inbreeding and split scales. This trait is passed on. I have yet to hear that the trait was breed out. Small clutches, low fertility rates, shortened life span and stunted growth are some of the inbreed traits/problems that are showing up. How does an Indigo that produced a clutch of 19 eggs sound? The breeder that helped produced this clutch was due to a varied diet and had indigos that do not have these inbreed problems/split scales. In my opinion indigos with split scales should not be breed or sold. Do not buy Indigos with the above problems. How is this helping Indigos? Lets hear from some of the breeders, Stan Ordonez

Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
tim brophy
I have 3.3 couperi, one has split scale anterior to the vent. She will never be bred. East coast Drymarchon FB page has photos of split scales.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Stanley M. Ordonez
Eastern Indigo-Thank you Vic

I received two eastern indigos this past Friday from Victor Herrick. I was pleased that they were 10 grades above what I had received and returned to Black pearl; their version of a flawless eastern indigo. I have learned from this experience that you do not jump on the first wagon that comes buy. It is better to wait and do your homework before you decide to buy. The seller wants to sell and the buyer wants to buy. But as the buyer you need to be educated as to what you are getting and not to rely on every word the seller is dishing out. The bottom line is that Eastern Indigos have a big problem. And the problem is genetics; they are inbreed and everyday it is more so. For those that can afford it, DNA testing is good method to see how closely related are these snakes. But this is out of our means to afford such a service. Most of the E. Indigos in breeders hands are related. I hate to say this, but it is time to face the music. Breeders should not be selling indigos with defects or breeding them. And we should not buy these inbreed snakes. I will be posting pics of the ones I have and pics of other indigos that do not make the grade. Stan Ordonez

Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
tim brophy
True. I do not know if it is even possible to buy unrelated lines of eastern indigos anymore. I have 3.3 couperi and I love having them. But I realize breeding them may be problematic and I may have to be satisfied with just keeping them as pets. If so, that is fine. I have friends who have shared photos of beautiful indigos that died without warning upon reaching sexual maturity. Often with enlarged heart condition. I am glad you were able to find a good pair. Hope you can identify a relatively unrelated line out there to match them up with.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
Stanley M. Ordonez
Indigos with enlarged hearts

Tim, can you or your friends let us know whether the Indigos that died of enlarged hearts as they reached adulthood; did they have split scales? I am sorry to hear that your friends purchased an Indigo; probably as a pet or as a prized long life dream of owning a great snake, only to see it die once they reached adulthood. That would of affected me for sure. Split scales can be an indicator of future problems, would be interesting to see if those that died had split scales. Thank you, Stan Ordonez

Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
lovin2act
I have two black phase males, my older with stunted growth (just under 6 feet), some split scales, slight tail kink. I love the dude just the same though haha! But yeah he is a mess compared to being perfect. My non snake friends absolutely love him and always want photos with him. He may not be good for making babies, but he is great for educating people about indigos in general

Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
tim brophy
My understanding is that the split ventral scales anterior to the vent indicate inbreeding. It is assumed that this inbreeding has resulted in the enlarged hearts, early deaths, etc. I have one aberrant scaled girl, but the rest of my group appear perfect. I would never sell an indigo snake. The good ones are damn near priceless.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
Stanley M. Ordonez
SPLIT SCALES- Eastern Indigo

Sorry to get back to this so late. Markus can you post a pic of the split scales on your indigo? How many scales are split? Thank you, Stan Ordonez

Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
lovin2act
Here's one for ya! Sorry not the best quality
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Stanley M. Ordonez
Indigo split scales

Thank you Markus for posting the pic. I take it is an Eastern Indigo. How old is it? Do you have more Indigos? If you do , do they have split scales. The quality of the pic is good. And a great size also. Thanks for sharing. Can anybody else share there experience or pics of split scales on Indigos? Stan Ordonez

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!