help with jacksons PLZ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Chameleons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
sam-hunter
Question help with jacksons PLZ

hey i have 300 bucks to spend i im looking for the hole set up exept a cage i need the lights and every thing and a breading couple i have met a breeder that would sell them to me for 121 shipped just list a list of lights that i would want and such thanks so much.
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-hunter
hey i have 300 bucks to spend i im looking for the hole set up exept a cage i need the lights and every thing and a breading couple i have met a breeder that would sell them to me for 121 shipped just list a list of lights that i would want and such thanks so much.
What size cages and what type do you have to work with?

I used Mercury Vapor bulbs for the heat and UVB with an additional Desert 10 florescent for added UVB, a ton of silk vines draped all in the cages and a live ficus as well.

Some people prefer a heat source and UVB as seperate units, like a ceramic heater and a florescent tube UVB but I find the ceramic heaters were harder to use for my needs with the chameleons.

Only use supplements a couple of times a week, they do not need the supplements as much as other species, I use them on Sat and Wed only.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
sam-hunter
ok this is the cage its a wooden 6 ft by 4 ft by 2ft but the cage part is only 4ft high 4 ft wide and 2ft deep and its split in two one side for male and other for female. im not sure if i should buy a 4ft light strip with the reptisun 5.0 or should i buy two 2 footers im not sure i need input thanks
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
ok this is the cage its a wooden 6 ft by 4 ft by 2ft but the cage part is only 4ft high 4 ft wide and 2ft deep and its split in two one side for male and other for female. im not sure if i should buy a 4ft light strip with the reptisun 5.0 or should i buy two 2 footers im not sure i need input thanks
That would be personal preference really, I would look in your area and see what the cost factor is for both with the fixtures and replacing bulbs every 6 months, the 2" would be easier to buy online than the 48" since they are smaller and would cost less in shippng. I use the florescent tubes on the Jax and the desert 8 slimlines on my veileds.

You need to decide if you want a mister too or if you want to hand mist them 3 - 4 times a day and a dripper system.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
sam-hunter
yeah im making a mister system this weekend and ive decided on the lights im going to get 1 3 foot strip that holds 2 bulbs so it all work out good
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
yeah im making a mister system this weekend and ive decided on the lights im going to get 1 3 foot strip that holds 2 bulbs so it all work out good

Sounds like a good plan!!

I like hand misting but I do have habba misters, if I had a chance to do it over Id go with a more professional mister system to cut back on hand misting!

I hope you find something you like!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
sam-hunter
yeah i made mine tonight i just used a bug strayer 1 G and it all worked perfectly i bought new misting tips and with a washer they are monted in my cage they look realy clean there is 2 heads per cage and its all linked to a 1g thing its great cost only 25 bucks and about 30min of time WHAT KIND OF HEATING BULBS SHOULD I USE WOULD IT BE GOOD TO GET ONES THAT DONT GIVE OFF LIGHT SO THAT THEY CAN STAY ON ALL DAY AND NIGHT OR WHAT SHOULD I DO THERE?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
The mister sounds great, I need to build one before I haev all my spring babies.

You could go with a ceramic heater but as for leaving it on at night, make sure you have a day/night temp drop. You can usually just cut the heat off at night since rooms temps are normally high enough at night.

It would save money to have the ceramic heater with the florescent lights instead of a UVB with heat.

Here is a pretty good care sheet for the day night temps.
http://centralpets.com/critterpages/.../LZD2665.shtml

Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
sam-hunter
my house does not stay room temp at night but what i was thinking is using a infered heat lamp with th reptiesun 5.0 and at night ill turn one lamp off and have the other one in the middle of the two cages since its 1 big one tht is split into two this should work fine i was told you have to use a uvb light?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
sam-hunter
if i was going to use 2 differant types of heating bulbs what should i use during the day since it wont matter if it produces light and ill jsut use the infered one at night
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread