Info Air Canada Cargo killed my gargoyle gecko :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Canadian Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Canadian Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the Canadian herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Browse4Reptiles
Warning! Air Canada Cargo killed my gargoyle gecko :(

Please reconsider using Air Canada Cargo to ship reptiles or any animal.

This valentines day, I received a beautiful adult male gargoyle gecko. He was frozen to death. Air Canada Cargo let him freeze to death, the flight wasn't delayed it was right on time. I had another animal shipped to me the day before from a similar distance with Reptile Express, and that reptile is perfectly fine. The weather was very similar both days. The outside of the box was warmer (room temperature) while the inside was freezing cold. He wouldn't have been able to survive that temperature, I never measured the temperature as I was extremely upset and I didn't think to do so at the time. I spoke to the breeder that shipped the gargoyle gecko and they told me that Air Canada Cargo told her that the plane cargo was temperature controlled to be room temperature so she packed the gecko accordingly. I wouldn't believe there as any error on the breeders part as the gecko was packed for room temperature and was packed similarly to other reptiles I've received in the past. The gecko did have activated heating packs with it that where not able to save the reptile from Air Canada Cargo's mishandling. When I contacted Air Canada cargo about them killing my animal, they made me play phone tag for several hours to talk to someone about this issue. They sent me to an email address that I never got any response from. After several hours of calling many different numbers and being on hold, I spoke to two different representatives at Air Canada about the situation. One told me they would give me a refund and why the death occurred (I have all these conversations recorded). The representative said that someone in their staff poked a hole(s) in the box because they where afraid the gecko needed more air and that is how they believe the gecko died. One representative also told me that that the places the gecko was located in cargo was temperature controlled to room temperature. This would be impossible as the inside of the box was freezing cold. I still haven't received a refund as of April 4th. I called them today, and the woman told me there is no record of the gecko dying or a refund being in progress. She sent me to fill out a form. If anyone if interested, I'll keep you updated on if I ever get my refund.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
bcr229
Unhappy

I'm so very sorry.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Lucille
I am sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, publicity encourages better customer care as it seems that when dealing directly with you they have show incompetence in both the failed proper delivery and their customer service to you.
I let them know what I thought of them
cargo.customerrelations@aircanada.ca

Old 04-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
hotlips
That's so sad...I hope you keep after them, that's the only way they "learn" & hopefully care about future shipments, not that they deserve to have any.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
AaronSerio
I definitely believe the staff shouldn't be poking holes in boxes since they are unqualified to determine what type of shipping a gecko needs. Effectively they've tampered with a package which is never a good thing to do.

As for ACC. I've received animals from them and shipped via them and I've had no problems. I will still ship with them.

What kind of heat packs were in the shipping box? When I ship with them I specifically ask which flight has a heated cargo area and they've always been good to ensure my animals make it on a heated flight and remain in a heated room until loading or pick up.

You can go as far as to look up the plane by model number and by that you'll know if it has a heated cargo area or not.

Unfortunate loss you've encountered and I do hope they refund you. Go after the box tampering thing. Employees shouldn't do that even if their heart was in the right place. It isn't their property.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Browse4Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSerio View Post

What kind of heat packs were in the shipping box? When I ship with them I specifically ask which flight has a heated cargo area and they've always been good to ensure my animals make it on a heated flight and remain in a heated room until loading or pick up.

You can go as far as to look up the plane by model number and by that you'll know if it has a heated cargo area or not.
Hey, I found the old shipping shipping box. It has two 7-hour heating packs in it. There may have been more in it at the time (I don't recall), but I can say with certainty that there were at least two. The breeder called Air Canada Cargo ahead of time and the staff told her the same thing they told me when I called them after he died - that the first flight was temperature controlled and kept slightly below room temperature and the second flight was room temperature.

The first flight was significantly shorter than the second which is why she only packed 7 hour heating packs (with 7 hours being more than enough, given the short flight). She didn't pack more heating because she was afraid the gecko would overheat as that is a common problem with gargoyle geckos. With the information she and I were given, I believe that how she packed him was appropriate. Even if, she hadn't included any heating packs at all (she did), it still wouldn't explain why the gecko was so cold to the touch when he arrived, given that the first (and coldest) flight he was on was supposed to be "slightly below room temperature." Because he and the inside of the box he was in were much colder than "slightly below room temperature," I'm led to believe that the box must have been in a freezer, fridge or left outside for a prolonged period of time. That, or the second (which was also the last and longest) flight he was on wasn't room temperature, as was originally advertised.

The package had 4 small holes which were taped up by an employee at Air Canada Cargo to fix their mistake after hearing poking holes wasn't appropriate. The outside of the box was around room temperature after being taken off the plane from the freezing outside air while the inside was way beyond a livable temperature for the gargoyle gecko. Their explanation as to why he was killed - that his temperature was allowed to get so low over an employee poking a few air holes in the box (which were promptly taped up) - just doesn't add up to me. After spending hours in a room temperature cargo area afterwards, there's no reason he would still be so cold unless he were exposed to absurdly cold (below freezing) temperatures for a prolonged period beforehand.

I'm really happy to hear all your animals are okay. I've been worrying way too much about animals arriving alive lately. I was very concerned that this was a common issue as they the staff at air Canada Cargo were very unprofessional with me. I'm glad that this seems to not be the case.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
AaronSerio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browse4Reptiles View Post
Hey, I found the old shipping shipping box. It has two 7-hour heating packs in it. There may have been more in it at the time (I don't recall), but I can say with certainty that there were at least two. The breeder called Air Canada Cargo ahead of time and the staff told her the same thing they told me when I called them after he died - that the first flight was temperature controlled and kept slightly below room temperature and the second flight was room temperature.

The first flight was significantly shorter than the second which is why she only packed 7 hour heating packs (with 7 hours being more than enough, given the short flight). She didn't pack more heating because she was afraid the gecko would overheat as that is a common problem with gargoyle geckos. With the information she and I were given, I believe that how she packed him was appropriate. Even if, she hadn't included any heating packs at all (she did), it still wouldn't explain why the gecko was so cold to the touch when he arrived, given that the first (and coldest) flight he was on was supposed to be "slightly below room temperature." Because he and the inside of the box he was in were much colder than "slightly below room temperature," I'm led to believe that the box must have been in a freezer, fridge or left outside for a prolonged period of time. That, or the second (which was also the last and longest) flight he was on wasn't room temperature, as was originally advertised.

The package had 4 small holes which were taped up by an employee at Air Canada Cargo to fix their mistake after hearing poking holes wasn't appropriate. The outside of the box was around room temperature after being taken off the plane from the freezing outside air while the inside was way beyond a livable temperature for the gargoyle gecko. Their explanation as to why he was killed - that his temperature was allowed to get so low over an employee poking a few air holes in the box (which were promptly taped up) - just doesn't add up to me. After spending hours in a room temperature cargo area afterwards, there's no reason he would still be so cold unless he were exposed to absurdly cold (below freezing) temperatures for a prolonged period beforehand.

I'm really happy to hear all your animals are okay. I've been worrying way too much about animals arriving alive lately. I was very concerned that this was a common issue as they the staff at air Canada Cargo were very unprofessional with me. I'm glad that this seems to not be the case.
For my snakes I use 40 hour and 60 hour heat packs. I activate them the night before or a number of hours before so that they have time to build up some heat. It takes a bit.

7 hour heat packs would be long dead before they were of any use. I understand gargoyles vs. snakes so I wouldn't use a 60 hour with a gargoyle most likely.

This would be breeder/shipper error in my books. We have to remember that we pack the animals in insulated boxes. This is to stabilize the temperatures inside for the animals. This means the outside the box temperatures shouldn't affect the inside ones too much. Room temperature flights help keep it stable so it doesn't drop too much and remember it's way colder up in the air.

It's possible that the box was left on the tarmac for too long while waiting to be loaded and was exposed to some extreme temps but overall if there were proper heat packs used then it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think the shipper did it on purpose by any means and simply didn't know/understand how it works.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Browse4Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSerio View Post

This would be breeder/shipper error in my books. We have to remember that we pack the animals in insulated boxes. This is to stabilize the temperatures inside for the animals. This means the outside the box temperatures shouldn't affect the inside ones too much. Room temperature flights help keep it stable so it doesn't drop too much and remember it's way colder up in the air.

It's possible that the box was left on the tarmac for too long while waiting to be loaded and was exposed to some extreme temps but overall if there were proper heat packs used then it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think the shipper did it on purpose by any means and simply didn't know/understand how it works.
I see what you're saying and I respect your opinion, my issue is that a) Air Canada tampered with the packaging through poking holes in it (ruining the insulation that was put in place by the shipper) and b) they kept an animal in sub-zero temperatures when they had said originally that they wouldn't. Had Air Canada kept the cargo at the promised temperature and not tampered with the packaging, this would not have happened. Therefor, even if the shipper were responsible to some extent, I would still not consider Air Canada's hands clean in the matter. Promising heated cargo spaces that are in reality below freezing, and poking holes in packages, is completely unacceptable given what was being transported.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Browse4Reptiles
I finally received my refund, and two tickets for entry to their lounge with an apology letter.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
Browse4Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I am sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, publicity encourages better customer care as it seems that when dealing directly with you they have show incompetence in both the failed proper delivery and their customer service to you.
I let them know what I thought of them
cargo.customerrelations@aircanada.ca

That's the same email the staff at Air Canada Cargo sent me to report my gecko arriving frozen. I never got any response, did you?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!