Auctions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
RichsBallPythons
Auctions

Not sure if this was asked before or not, But adding a Auction section for the Site.

Could just be a General Auction for peoples reptiles to be able to bid on.

Auctions dont work now since non paying members cant bid on them, so a section where all can bid on would be a plus and im sure be a very busy section

What you think.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
WebSlave
A long while back I used to run a FaunaAuctions site, and quite honestly it did not do well. Then I also had a classifieds script running on this site along with the regular forum based classifieds that incorporated auction capability, and it also did not do well.

Why do you think auctions would do better now than they did before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
Not sure if this was asked before or not, But adding a Auction section for the Site.

Could just be a General Auction for peoples reptiles to be able to bid on.

Auctions dont work now since non paying members cant bid on them, so a section where all can bid on would be a plus and im sure be a very busy section

What you think.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
A long while back I used to run a FaunaAuctions site, and quite honestly it did not do well. Then I also had a classifieds script running on this site along with the regular forum based classifieds that incorporated auction capability, and it also did not do well.

Why do you think auctions would do better now than they did before?
Everywhere i go online theres groups all over FB and on Some forums for Auctions. They seem to do very well for most who post something to auction.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
Everywhere i go online theres groups all over FB and on Some forums for Auctions. They seem to do very well for most who post something to auction.
One of the things I didn't care much for concerning auctions is that they tend to be mutually exclusive with regular classifieds sites. For instance, when I ran FaunaAuctions, I noted people who had auctions running with active bidding going on also had active classified ads on the site. Not sure what they had in mind if someone bought their animal from the classifieds when they had already committed to the auction when bids were placed. But it seemed to me that complaints would have been forthcoming, to say the least.

Auctions can just be a tremendous headache for all involved, and quite honestly, if I were to set up something like that again, I really don't even want to hear about the shill bidding and deadbeats who don't pay when they wasted your time with that auction that ran for two weeks. I had my fill of that before. Of course, that offering would have to be FREE to everyone, otherwise it would be stillborn from the getgo.

BTW, whatever happened to ReptiBid?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
RichsBallPythons
Never heard of ReptiBid at all.

It seems Auctions are a Fad that come and go and right now their the top thing to move snakes faster than waiting for them to sell.

Any sale/auction will end up with the non payers and friend bidding on their auction to make it go higher. happens everywhere even now it sucks, but usually can weed them out most of the time.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
twgrosmick
In my opinion I believe an auction would be a great way to attract more people to the site and as noted would be a good way to get reptiles moved faster. I also have seen a huge number of online auctions on Facebook that appear to be doing very well. With a site as large as fauna, I think it would benefit not only the sellers but the sites publicity. There are no good auction sites out now so I think its overdue for someone to put something out.

The problem of double listing would just have to be dealt with on a case by case basis. You could possibly make it like an Ebay auction where until it comes down to the last day ( in order to prevent people from backing out if they don't like the price ) the auction could be shut down due to a local sale or classified sale.

Just my 2 cents

Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
KelliH
I think it would be more trouble than it's worth but that's only my opinion.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
RoadHouse of Retics
Auctions seem very popular right now. I like the idea from a buyers perspective. I guess from a sellers perspective there could be some headaches but there could be a lot of good come from it also.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Focal
I would most definitely do auctions next year. I hate selling snakes cheap just to move them quicker and auctions are a fair middle ground IMO.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Lucille
Is there any reason why an individual seller cannot post an auction for his own stock now?
That way, as an individual seller decision rather than a site platform the seller would bear the various risks associated with an auction.

Of course after a few bouts of nonpayers and so on, the feedback forum would have posts saying that somehow the site should take on these risks, but that ill conceived idea seems to be perennial.

I think that as long as the method is not illegal, and does not decrease the site rep or become a distraction, why not?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!