Help Please...... FTP? Web publishing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Help Please...... FTP? Web publishing?

Okay, I give up, I'm too stupid to launch my web page. I built a web page in Front page 98. (I know it's old, it's what I had) I purchased domains: the-red-dragons-den.com and similair names. I purchased hosting service from Gemstream. (Because my husband uses their service, and before you suggest I ask him how~ he FORGOT how he got his web page published! He put it up two years ago and forgot about it, I pay the credit card bill where it gets billed)

So~ I should be set right? HOW do I put my web page on-line??? I've asked Gemstream, but naturally they have my money already so answering my questions seems to be low on thier list of things to do.

My "Control panel" says my FTP site is "ftp.the-red-dragons-den.com" but when I go their and enter my password, it keeps looking for the page and eventually times out.

I tried using the wizard in Frontpage 98, but it connects to the host, and then times out with an error message that says "There was an error during the transfer of the files. The error message from the remote machine was: Idle time out (600 seconds): closing control connection."

I am using DSL, so it is not that my PC is too slow. Is it something wrong with Gemstream and I am going to have to wate for them to answer my trouble ticket? Or am I going about this all wrong and trying to re-invent the wheel?

any ideas please?

Old 02-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
PythonWallace
Don't use Frontpage

Cheryl, make sure you have the administrator name and password for the domain, then try a program like CuteFTP for the upload. You can get a free demo version that you can use for 30 days. Then you enter the domain information and your username and password. Now you just have to find the folder that has all the files for your site and drag and drop them to the upload window. This usually works when you are having problems uploading with Frontpage.

Jake Wallace

Old 02-20-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks Jake!

I should have come back here and posted that after beating my head into the PC repeatedly, and threatening to beat the tech support people to death with my keyboard~

I got the site loaded!! Then my PC broke and I can't fix the many small error that have been pointed out to me! (Frontpage was on that PC, not this one) Hopefully this weekend I can get that straightened out!

Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!