Could someone PLEASE explane? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
seminoleranch
Question Could someone PLEASE explane?

We got our first Dragon this past Easter from a family member who raised them. She is doing very, very well according to them when they seen her this past weekend. This person had to give up all their breeding stock (total of 4 more) and I was joyfull to take them all. I have done tons of research and understand all the pro's and con's to breeding and feel I would like to try my hand at it (not to mention one of the females is already bred so I made myself study for hours on in).

Despite all my research I am still puzzled by colors and some of the terms used for the colors such as Hypo, Phase, Het etc. Could someone please tell me what these mean??? I would like to understand all this BEFORE I do any breeding of my own. I do have a good understanding of gentics in dogs and horses so I think I can grasp this if someone would just explane the terms.

Also two of my dragons look nothing (or to me they dont) like the colors I was told they where. I understand this can change with age and envorment. My Sandfire girl is starting to look Sandfire now and the Florida Orange looks just like the photos I have seen but the Red Phase and the Red /Blood look more gray to me. Here is a list of what I have...Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Cairo Sandfire (plain) four yrs old female

Jewel Florida Orange four yrs male

Bojangles red/blood cross 2.5 yrs male

Alina red phase one yrs female

Kaido sand fire
a year and a half'ish female

Old 06-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminoleranch
We got our first Dragon this past Easter from a family member who raised them. She is doing very, very well according to them when they seen her this past weekend. This person had to give up all their breeding stock (total of 4 more) and I was joyfull to take them all. I have done tons of research and understand all the pro's and con's to breeding and feel I would like to try my hand at it (not to mention one of the females is already bred so I made myself study for hours on in).

Despite all my research I am still puzzled by colors and some of the terms used for the colors such as Hypo, Phase, Het etc. Could someone please tell me what these mean??? I would like to understand all this BEFORE I do any breeding of my own. I do have a good understanding of gentics in dogs and horses so I think I can grasp this if someone would just explane the terms.

Also two of my dragons look nothing (or to me they dont) like the colors I was told they where. I understand this can change with age and envorment. My Sandfire girl is starting to look Sandfire now and the Florida Orange looks just like the photos I have seen but the Red Phase and the Red /Blood look more gray to me. Here is a list of what I have...Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Cairo Sandfire (plain) four yrs old female

Jewel Florida Orange four yrs male

Bojangles red/blood cross 2.5 yrs male

Alina red phase one yrs female

Kaido sand fire
a year and a half'ish female
CheriS has a good article on the history
of color morphs and where they came from on reptilerooms.com bearded dragon forum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!