Flex Watt Mfg says NO to foil/aluminum tape - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
stevek123
Flex Watt Mfg says NO to foil/aluminum tape

Lots of us use it.

I spoke to the Mfg today and the fellow there said you are asking for trouble if you use it. Ever get shocked? He said that's why. He cautioned to not use it even to secure the flex watt sides, and to forget about using it under or on top of the heat tape. He recommends using plain old duck tape.

So I'm curious as to what "others" here use under their flexwatt tape, to secure the sides of their flexwatt tape, and on top of the flexwatt tape (if anything).

Want to reflect as much heat upwards toward your tubs?.....The Mfg says using a foil tape on the bottom creats a "heat sink" and actually draws heat downward to be absorbed to whatever the tape is attached to. He recommended using a sheet of rigid insulation (like blueboard) that is made not to absorb heat.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
RobNJ
I use duct tape to keep mine in place.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
stevek123
Robert any issues with it wearing out from the tubs going over it?
Do you cover the top of the tape with it?
Have you ever tried to remove it from the tape and is it a sticky mess?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
RobNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Robert any issues with it wearing out from the tubs going over it?
Do you cover the top of the tape with it?
Have you ever tried to remove it from the tape and is it a sticky mess?

Thanks for the reply.
The heat I use duct tape on is back heat, so no issue with wear. I did cover the top of the tape with it, no problem there. I have not tried to remove it, but I'm sure when I do it will be a sticky mess...though the sticky mess should be easy to clean off melamine when the time comes.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Snake-Queen
I am also interested in the answer to the stickiness of the duck tape and the durability of it. I am going to be adding racks to my building (when it is done) and will need to secure the flex watt.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
MrBig
I prefer Kevlar tape, its used in manufacturing and is extremely slippery. Doesn't leave sticky residue, and has nice hold.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Double B Reptiles
The foil shouldn't matter as long as you arent touching the leads of the tape, or have it over the top of the middle part of the tape (where the conductors are). If it is touching the leads, you would essentially be creating a giant electrical conductor. You might as well stick your fingers into a light socket lol. As long as your connectors are well insulated and you watch the friction over the top of the heat tape, you shouldnt have a problem with the foil tape being used to hold your flex watt in place.

sources: 5 years experience as an electronics technician and am going for my Bachelors in electronic engineering.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
I prefer Kevlar tape, its used in manufacturing and is extremely slippery. Doesn't leave sticky residue, and has nice hold.
Available at Lowes? Home Depot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbutler View Post
The foil shouldn't matter as long as you arent touching the leads of the tape, or have it over the top of the middle part of the tape (where the conductors are). If it is touching the leads, you would essentially be creating a giant electrical conductor. You might as well stick your fingers into a light socket lol. As long as your connectors are well insulated and you watch the friction over the top of the heat tape, you shouldnt have a problem with the foil tape being used to hold your flex watt in place.

sources: 5 years experience as an electronics technician and am going for my Bachelors in electronic engineering.
Would it create a heat pocket though?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
Double B Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Queen View Post
Available at Lowes? Home Depot?

Would it create a heat pocket though?
Melissa, I am not exactly sure what you mean by a heat pocket? If you arent touching the conductors (anywhere from the metal lines on the outside, to the black lines on the inside), there is no way that the heat is going to transfer from the heat tape to the foil tape. I think what the guys at flex watt are trying to say is that when you put foil tape on the bottom, you will essentially be creating a heat sink, which is used to dissipate heat. You don't exactly want to be focusing all of the heat on the bottom of the heat tape right? You want it on the top, where your tub is. Putting foil on top of your heat tape could be beneficial because you would get better heat transfer to your tubs, however it could be a potential danger if you cause a bunch of friction and rub the heat tape down to the conductors. It would turn your heat tape and foil tape into one giant electrical conductor, if any part of the foil tape was touching the conductor of the heat tape, that is. If you keep the foil tape on the outside, and touching plastic only, you wouldnt have any issues. Then use electrical tape to insulate the connectors and tape the ends down. Can you please explain what you mean by heat pocket though?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Snake-Queen
Wouldn't using foil tape, create hotter spots where the tape is? When I think of foil, I think of cooking... shiny side reflect heat back and dull side absorbs the heat and diffuses it.

I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I have never used heat tape, most of my snake enclosures have radiant heat panels & I use basking lights for my dragons. Please bear with me.