Sick ornate... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
jenn_jeffery
Sick ornate...

I have a friend with an Ornate uro. She just lost her male to this--he went downhill FAST. She has the female in the same type of setup the male was in. She did not keep them together, and they were never in physical contact. She had her male into the vet (well known exotics vet, good vet) and he said it was 'age related, 2nd & 3rd degree burns'. Now the female has the same thing, and we don't think it's burns. She has an appt. to take the female in this week. This DOES seem painful to the touch for the uros. The male was the sweetest uro you could ever imagine (female is the opposite) but even the male would take a swing at her with his tail so she wouldn't mess with him, and I'd NEVER seen him do this before, even with me, who he didn't really know. The male was 8-10 years old I think.

Setup:
Vision cage, basking ~ 120, UVA/UVB light, and were outside at least once a week, usually both days on the weekends, and some during the week. Cages were cleaned daily/every other day as needed. Substrate: paper towels. She feeds greens with the Sandfire Superfoods powder, calcium powder, and vitiman powder on a rotational basis.

Here's the email she just sent me:
Symptoms:
Blood and puss underneith the skin.
When she moves the puss ruptures out of her skin.
Blisters and puss under the skin
Extremely sensitive to the touch.
Skin hardening to the touch almost like dehydrating from the inside out at a rapid pace.
Soaking-no help (maybe)
Antibiotics- little help maybe
Betadine-no help (maybe)
Cream that we used when we thought it was burns- (helped a bit)
The only thing that helped Narc a little bit was the injections of fluids that he received at the vet clinic but that was quite a bit.
I still couldn't get enough fluids down him to keep up with the dehydration.

Any help here is appreciated. We did look into blister disease, but that doesn't seem likely....

Old 06-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
FamilyZoo
Could it be blister disease?

Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
Was not blister disease. Turned out to be a fungal infection, w/ a secondary type of blood? infection. She unfortunately didn't make it through the treatment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!