Can you cut? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
KKtheRipper
Can you cut?

I have two Cuban Knight Anole eggs and they are due to hatch in about 2 weeks. Are you allowed to cut a little slit in the egg for them to come out? If so, how long should I wait if they don't come out on their hatch date? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
rosebud945
I asked a friend the same question about collared lizard eggs and she said that it is not wise. Wait it out. They will either hatch or not, and if they don't, then there is a reason why they don't. She said she did cut once because she knew the egg was developing, but when she opened it up, the hatchling was horribly deformed and died shortly after she opened it. It couldn't have made it out on its own and wasn't going to survive either way. I never cut eggs, and in hundreds of eggs that my girls laid since, only one did not hatch that made it to the due date. Part of their early development is making their way out of the egg, so I would say no, cutting isn't wise.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Its better to not mess with the eggs,they will come out when they are ready.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
KKtheRipper
Okay thank you so much for the advice. I'm more of a python breeder and I'm new to the lizard breeding experience. But I will leave nature to it and see what the outcome may be. Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
hadenglock
yeah its best to leave it alone, i do remember one time i cut out a cuban knight anole egg i had found buried in a unused cage for months, i only cut it because i wanted to see what kind of animal it was because i had multiple pairs of lizards in that cage and thought surely it must be long gone. But sure enough when i went to cut it, a healthy little cuban knight anole baby popped out! Im not sure if maybe this is a species can stay in the egg longer due to certain environmental conditions (they would wait to hatch out until the time and conditions are right).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!