Caiman Lizard setup help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
JeromyD
Arrow Caiman Lizard setup help.

i have a caiman lizard and his set up right now is half and half water and land.
Well my partition has take a bit of a beating and has broken the seal at the top and needing repair. but i was thinking about having a full aquatic set up for him with branches and ledges for him to get on for basking, i have a canister filter for the water, but im wondering about ideas and thoughts on ways to make good enough branches or vines that will hold him, also thoughts on the water only setup.

Thanks,
Jeromy D.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
ReptileGeek181
Hey Jeromy, sorry I don't know anything about caiman lizards, but maybe a pic of the current set-up may help others in giving you advice/thoughts on it.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
JeromyD
indeed good idea!

Best one i have!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
JeromyD
Thats the caiman in the left top corner of the water park on the bottom the water was still settling from a change of water, The top left corner of the water side is where the silicone broke away so i was thinking about putting about 8 inches of water all the way across with some vines and branches for him to get away i jsut need to figure out how to get the basking spot right.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
hadenglock
That sounds like an okay idea to me. Caiman lizards are found normally up in tree branches suspended over a body of water. However i think it would be really cool to still offer a very large dry area somehow to give him the opportunity to get away from the water and still move around on dry land. If your not devoted on using a glass tank, maybe get a pvc one and make it water proof and go from there.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
JeromyD
Ya im just giving it alot of thought cause im gonna have to empty it to repair the divider and rather do it all at once any suggestions on dry area? he spends 90 percent of his time in the water.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
hadenglock
really just big thick peices of angled cork bark or driftwood is best, you want to create something that is large enough for him to comfortably perch on without having to hold on so he doesnt fall off.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
JeromyD
Ok done will post pictures soon need to do a couple more partial water changes the moving has moved around alot of settled debris .

Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Robin Mazz
I have 2. For about 4 years. The setup is half land and half water. The water is a custom built chamber out of acrylic I believe is 32 inches every side and about 12 inches deep. For drainage, built in drain runs through the wall in my house under the driveway into the woods. just open the spigot, and I use a hose to fill it and clean it. Use a pool pump for the water and a water heater to keep the water at about 78. I put shelves on the back and used large pieces of wood and cork for them to crawl around on. they use the shelves almost all the time for Basking. Cage is temp controlled. About 96in long, 71/2 feet tall and 33 inches deep. If your handy you could put one together yourself..

Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
JeromyD
I have about 10 inches water in the 90 gal tank there is a extra large cork bark in thre for basking and there is a Large turtle platform for his food its working out great! also im running a canister filter and a tetra fauna carbon filter on the opposite end for a little extra help als im running a power head pump to help circulate the water i have craw fish, apple snails and im gonna put a plecostomus in there for some extra cleaning. im also in the process of setting upa seperate tank for the snails and craw fish the snails are laying eggs Yay.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!