Hey Rich - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Mech
Hey Rich

Hi Rich,
Hey ya know it’s not really easy for me to give your site money.
I don’t know why but that is my take on this.
I have no problem piching in other than using PayPal.
I kinda hate using that.
Probably not the only one with those thoughts.
I actually thought that once it is set up you would just “tap it” as needed.
I just now found out I was not a contributing member the other day.
I pay membership fees on several sites like Spotify, audio books and several others like that.
Any chance you could make it easier?
That would totally be cool.
It might help.
Thank you.
Andy

Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
Hi Rich,
Hey ya know it’s not really easy for me to give your site money.
I don’t know why but that is my take on this.
I have no problem piching in other than using PayPal.
I kinda hate using that.
Probably not the only one with those thoughts.
I just now found out I was not a contributing member the other day.
I pay membership fees on several sites like Spotify, audio books and several others like that.
Any chance you could make it easier?
That would totally be cool.
It might help.
Thank you.
Andy
What methods for payment are those other sites you frequent using for that purpose?

I really do wish there was a realistic alternative for PayPal, but I sure don't know of one.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
CyndiWard1827
Venmo is a good source for payment as well. We use it for our business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiWard1827 View Post
Venmo is just PayPal F&F rebranded.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
Somewhere around here Rich posted an explanation of why he doesn't do recurring memberships anymore -- IIRC, it was an issue with people forgetting they signed up for a recurring membership and then getting hysterical when their PP got charged a year later.

Mech, if you don't mind me asking: you can pay for a membership here without having a PayPal account -- the page where you plug in your CC number just happens to have a PayPal logo on it. Is there something about having PP as the credit card processor that is worse than having some other financial institution handle it?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiWard1827 View Post

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Venmo is just PayPal F&F rebranded.
Yes, it appears that way.

Quote:
Venmo is a service of PayPal, Inc., a licensed provider of money transfer services (NMLS ID: 910457). All money transmission is provided by PayPal, Inc. pursuant to PayPal, Inc.’s licenses. © 2018 PayPal, Inc.
And it appears to be an app for IOS and Android only. Might be a while before I trust doing any financials on my smartphone. Plus any links from this website to any such service are not provided in the base code, so it would need to be custom programmed in.

The only modules that I can see that come native in this message board code are the following:
  • Paypal
  • NOCHEX
  • Worldpay
  • Authorize.Net
  • 2Checkout
  • Moneybookers
  • CCBill

Of course, this is rather old code, for reasons I have explained before, so maybe even some or all of those except PayPal are no longer in service. Never tried to look into them, since it didn't make sense to do so unless they were heavily favored and used by the membership.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Somewhere around here Rich posted an explanation of why he doesn't do recurring memberships anymore -- IIRC, it was an issue with people forgetting they signed up for a recurring membership and then getting hysterical when their PP got charged a year later.
Yeah, that was in the forum exclusively for contributing members. So I'll cut and paste the pertinent text here for public viewing.

Quote:
Yeah, I tried that under prompting by some people. vBulletin does have the option to set up the subscriptions as an optional renewing payment through PayPal. So I set it up. Admittedly it's not all that easy to notice, as it is noted by a simple asterisk on the subscription page, but it WAS optional. After about a dozen of so people filing claims with PayPal when the automated renewal took place, claiming I had stolen funds from their account and made an unauthorized withdrawal, I had had enough of that. I'm sure each and every one of those has to put a black mark on my record with PayPal. How many before they would have yanked my account?

Here are some threads showing what I am talking about:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=492383

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=500546

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=548748

So no, not willing to go through that again.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, that was in the forum exclusively for contributing members.
For the record, this is the thread that stuck in my mind, in the public help and feedback forum:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=492383

Quote:
So today I get another member claiming with PayPal that I have made an unauthorized charge to their PayPal account. Apparently some people forget that they set up an automated subscription payment plan with PayPal when they set up a paid membership or sponsorship within this site. Rather than contact me about it, they go ahead and file a claim with PayPal. Or perhaps it is just being done maliciously by someone who got a bug up their butt about this site over something.
Quote:
As such, I have removed ALL instances of recurring payments for all sponsorships and paid memberships.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Mech
2ww

So I spent a little time thinking about this and “wow”just “wow”.
It can’t easy by any means and I respect you on this.
Sometimes life sucks and you are a decent guy so it sucks for you to be at this spot.
I am not sure how to sugar coat this but I think a few tweets might help
It kinda seems like you are in a tight spot and I mean that humbly.
I mean an automatic re-charge to an account will no doubt bring you some headaches as I have read.
As a person that is just about to retire it hits close to home.
I would never want your position.
A missed opportunity (like mine) hurts as well.
What are your thoughts about using a regular credit card?
Do you think it will cost more?
I would pay the extra.
The web sites I mentioned earlier take all the major cards and by agreeing to the terms you are in and “golden”.
This works for me on about 4 web sites.
Could you possibly take checks?
Could you possibly consider to have a program that informs us that we are needing to pay because your terms are about to end
I don’t know the answers but I stand by my statement that it is not easy to pay
you and I’d be more than happy to do that.
All the best.
That said please please don’t close this forum to the general public.
Your work here is outstanding and I dig it.
It is such a special spot and I don’t want to see it gone.
Rich could you please,find a way to make this work?
Losing the BOI will hurt.
Thanks Bud.
Andy

Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
WebSlave
I used to take credit cards with my SerpenCo business before retiring it, and quite honestly it was a pain in the butt. And it was becoming an even bigger pain in the butt rapidly. The credit card companies started demanding all sorts of security audits (on my dime, of course), plus all kinds of new red tape they wanted to implement, for security purposes. There fees and red tape were just getting more and more unbearable. I didn't have an accountant on the payroll just to handle all that BS they were throwing my way. So I was glad to just tell them to stuff it, as I didn't need their services any longer.

To go back to that headache is not an option on the table. I would imagine that with new federal regulations on the books concerning establishing a business, it would be an even bigger pain in the butt now just to try to establish an account again. I just got over wrangling with PayPal concerning verifying the business address for FaunaClassifieds. Seems they don't like the fact that the business address is SOLELY a post office box. I think I got that resolved, finally, after spending an hour on the phone with someone, but with PayPal, it's hard to tell. Just because one of their representatives tells you something doesn't necessarily mean the rest of PayPal is going to agree to it, much less know about the resolution. I STILL see the notices in my account about verifying my business address......

Maybe restricted choices in payment options have been an issue all along. But when I see all the members who previously were able to pay successfully in the past who have declined to do so when renewal time came along, I kind of doubt that this is a particularly high hurdle for people to negotiate. No, they CHOOSE not to contribute, not FAIL to because of some roadblock. IMHO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!