I love MHDs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
fyrfli23
I love MHDs

I went to the Reptile Expo in San Diego to prevent my DH from bringing home a new pet... only to convince him we needed a Mountain Horned Dragon lol!

He is one of the most laidback lizards i have even seen.

We brought him home and i set his cage up. An 18x18x30 mesh cage the breeder said would be fine (ive learned otherwise) with a fake vine, Rubber Plant, mealworm bowl and Low watt UVB bulb. My room is usually pretty warm, mid 70s, and his basking spot is about mid 80s. We left him alone for a few days, and he didnt eat, didnt really move much from one corner for 4 days, when he started looking more... um.. colorful (more green than brown) we brought him out and handfed him, which he was more than willing to do, ate about 8 mealworms, i now bring him out daily and handfeed him a few mealworms since he doesnt seem to notice the bowl in the cage. After payday we will get more variety (we would have gotten more when we bought him but the breeder said mealworms were all he really needed).

Soon we are going to get a medium reptile fountain to put in his cage (i want the one with the fogger) since i didnt know that he needed running water (the problem with impulse buys i know lol). Until then i am misting his cage everytime i am near it (i have a ceiling fan running almost all day and night and i know that dries everything faster), and putting him in the tub for a few hours a day with a trickle of water, which he seems to really enjoy (his legs got these really pretty blue specks, not sure if that is related to being happy but i like to think so lol, it is on a mood ring lol).

All in all i am really enjoying him (?), he is just so awesome! And my 5 y/o son loves having a Dragon, he had been wanting one since seeing How to Train Your Dragon lol. I may have convinced him he can breathe fire but doesnt because it would catch the house on fire lol.

I do have a few questons: 1) Would air plants be a good choice in his cage? I want a more natural looking cage and thought they would be really neat. 2) What is the healthiest food source for them? ive seen that earthworms have alot of calcium in them, but they shouldnt have to many. And mealworms i read werent so good. I know everyones opinion of what is "best" is different but what does everyone think makes the healthiest MHD?

Ill post pics of him and his cage as soon as i figure that out lol

Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
fyrfli23
i posted pics of my dragon in my profile! He is so good about having his picture taken LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!