Info Ben Siegel Troubles - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #91
lillyorchid
True. Although having a "mental illness" isn't a pass or a free get out of jail card when one does something against the law. This isn't his first time he's done something.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #92
NTReptiles
I have bought animals from Ben Siegel before and have never had a complaint. I live 4.5 hours away but every time I visit family in South Florida I stop there. My personal opinion in this matter is that since he has shown time and time again that he can't control himself, then he needs to pay the price. Some of you are focusing so much on the fact that he has a mental illness, that it doesn't matter what he did. Mental illness or not, it doesn't erase the fact that he attacked people wielding a live animal. You can call me cold or ignorant but the FACTS are that he committed a crime. This isn't an attack on anyone just my personal opinion.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #93
JCCS
I guess that all depends on your philosophy of criminal prosecution. If your goal is punishing the person, then yes, lock him away and don't worry about it. If your goal is to ensure the best chance of the behavior not repeating itself, then a different approach is necessary.

I'm very much concerned about his behavior and the possibility of it intensifying. I also know that throwing him in jail isn't going to do a thing about the behavior other than possibly making it worse. America imprisons a larger percentage of it's population than ANY other country on earth. Obviously that hasn't been working for us and has done nothing other than perpetuate the cycle of criminality.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #94
ElexisC
The possibility of it intensifying? It already has, he had attacked several people, got arrested for cocaine AND has now attacked people while abusing an animal. He is showing a pattern of increase. He needs to be, I hate to say it, locked in a facility where he can get help, and only once he's stable and can show he's capable let out. They do this quite often with the mentally ill. It's not just a punishment but treatment as well. He doesn't need jailed and forgot about, he needs held in a facility and given treatment and a "parole" that requires him to continue therapy, medication, and so on. But I'm sure I'll be told I don't understand yet again. Even though I do have issues of my own and a son with autism (yes different from big polar but still a disorder) I'm incompassionate I just think differently than many on this thread I guess. Even though my son is autistic and cannot always control his actions does that mean he shouldn't get a time out or some type of punishment? No it doesnt, because he needs to learn whats wrong and try to learn better behaviors.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #95
ElexisC
In not* incompassionate, don't know why not disappeared because I typed it.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #96
Silverback87
I over the years have been to his place 100's of times.. I never had a bad experience with Ben or his staff... Yet the last time it was in about a week before the incident, myself and my wife absolutely noticed Ben acted in a manic manner.. His normally reserved personality was in reverse he walked around the store smoking and vaping together, he ran to me convinced I was his neighbor telling the staff I get 50% off anything I wanted.. I never seen him act or look the way he did.. I truly hope he gets the help he needs...

Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #97
Croghans Reptiles
It's sad that this happened to a guy who appears to be renowned as a "good guy", but now matter what his reputation was, there needs to be action against the crimes committed.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #98
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croghans Reptiles View Post
crimes committed.

The law as it is written in the United States requires that there be shown intent or as it used to be known, mens rea (the levels, negligently, recklessly, knowingly, purposefully as defined by the Modern Penal Code) in order to convict someone of most crimes.
As far as I know from what has been written here, Ben is accused, not convicted; whether he had the requisite intent has not been shown.

There are various ways to look at punishment- utilitarian, where punishment is designed to change and improve behavior, and retribution, where punishment is used merely to right the perceived scales of justice.
But punishments including jail aren't even on the table yet, or shouldn't be: in order to punish one must convict, and here in the US, in order to convict for most crimes, one must prove requisite intent.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #99
Silverback87
Ben needs treatment, not punishment... He thought I was his neighbor who called the police on him... I live two hours from him.... He's delusional...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #100
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback87 View Post
Ben needs treatment, not punishment...
I agree. And MANY of those incarcerated need treatment, not punishment. I can only hope that this incident brings dialogue and thought and help not only here but everywhere.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!