Bad Guy BEWARE of "WORLD PET EXPOS" - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
ophidile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaLuvHerps View Post
Susan,

According to how I am reading that contract, you are entitled to your money back, no questions asked, as long as one little thing does not happen.

The first paragraph states that you and the exhibitor "enter into this agreement for the purpose of renting exhibit space as herein specified for WORLD PET EXPOS to be held in the city and on the dates as shown above."

Although it does NOT mention in the specified venue (which they could have gotten you on), it DOES mention the DATES on the contract as being the dates the show will be held. The very top of the contract shows the dates clearly as Feb 28-March 1. They are in clear breech of contract if no show happens in Tallahassee on those dates, and they should be required to refund your money. It actually could happen at any venue, but it MUST be on those dates somewhere in that city.

I find it interesting that they phrased the contract that way, however, as it actually DOES give them an out to move the venue on the dates, as long as it stays in the same city, and still not refund your money. A very shady way of recruiting vendors into a nice venue then saying "oops, gotta move it to the run down hall down the road, but we will still have a show" and you being out the money. "You" here being any vendor signing up for their shows.

Your best bet is to wait until next weekend, and as long as WPE does not hold a show in that city anywhere, you are fine. It may not, however, be a criminal matter, as a breech of contract is a civil issue. I would call them and ask them if they have the venue rescheduled for those dates, and get as much information as possible. If they say no, do not ask them about a refund or mention how the contract is phrased, but record it on paper (date, time, person you spoke with) and be ready for a fight.

Seeing as how you are all in the same area, it may be of your best interest to take it to civil court if the credit card company will not refund your money. I would call the police station and speak with them again, however, if no show happens on those dates in that city to see if there has been a crime committed. If not, take it to Judge Judy
Am I misreading the contract? I see "VENUE: CIVIC CENTER EXPO HALL" beneath the show name/date/city. I believe the show must be there for the contract to be valid? (you are correct it may be a civil matter rather than a criminal matter unless there's proof they deliberately tried to defraud people of money - pretty sure that's criminal)

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #22
GottaLuvHerps
Well, the point I am getting at is that the contract itself does not mention that the show must be held at the venue, only in the city and on the dates. I might be wrong about the validity if it is held in a different venue, but it is a way around things for the WPE people if they so choose to use it....

Also, with some digging (I am bored this morning), I have found some interesting info....

On the website for the Florida State Fairgrounds (http://www.floridastatefair.com/events-calendar/69), there is no show scheduled for this weekend. So I guess they can say the Tampa Bay show was postponed...

The show that is to be held on June 6&7 at the North Florida State Fairgrounds (http://www.northfloridafair.com/incl...?date=20090601) is listed as TENTATIVE.

The show to be held March 7&8 at the Miami Convention Center is not on the calendar of events at all. (http://www.miamibeachconvention.com/...sp?mm=3/1/2009)

There is no listing for the WPE at The Ranch in Loveland on March 21&22 (http://www.larimer.org/virtualems/BrowseEvents.aspx)

Nothing listed at the Fair Park in Dallas for March 28&29 either (http://www.fairpark.org/fair-park-calendar.html) (hover over or click on the dates)

The April 4&5 dates at the Will Rogers Center in Fort Worth are not showing up on their page either (http://www.fwculture.com/wrogers.htm)

The date for April 18&19 at the JFK Colesium (which, btw, is an ICE SKATING RINK!), are not listed on their calendar (http://www.manchesternh.gov/website/...4/Default.aspx) (scroll down to the bottom, and go to April)

Anyone else find any of this fishy? I might just get bored enough to call every venue on their list and find out what is going on, who knows. But, I can say that when a venue is trying to promote shows, they go out of their way to advertise it, at least on their calendar of events (I know my venue for my show goes WAY above and beyond that as well). So, why would all but ONE not have a THING to say they were there on those dates (and even that one is listed as tentative)....

Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
ophidile
Ah, I see, you are correct. Dunno if it'd hold up in court, but that is annoying.
If they DO end up holding a show in the city and at a (cheaper) venue, do you suppose it makes any difference in a suit if you go or refuse to go? Just thinking of how to get the most out of the situation - if I paid that much money I'd at least want to go to whatever shoddy substitute they put out, but only if it didn't damage my chances of pressing charges / a suit of somesort.
... may not be enough money to be worth a suit, though, unless the OP has time and the principle of the thing is galling enough

Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #24
GottaLuvHerps
Oh, I forgot something...

They are advertising for vendors on the Miami Craigslist Events section (at least there, didn't check other places). Has a different phone number and contact person. Here's the screenshot (which sucks, sorry, I can email it)

The ad states:
"World Pet Expos, LLC is coming to Miami. And for those who decide to sign up early, we have a EARLY BIRD half price SPECIAL. IF you are interested in being a vendor at the Miami Pet Expo, or have any questions, feel free to call me at (941)993-8555 or email me at Cat@WorldPetExpos.net"

The link to the ad is http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/eve/869324500.html

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
GottaLuvHerps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidile View Post
Ah, I see, you are correct. Dunno if it'd hold up in court, but that is annoying.
If they DO end up holding a show in the city and at a (cheaper) venue, do you suppose it makes any difference in a suit if you go or refuse to go? Just thinking of how to get the most out of the situation - if I paid that much money I'd at least want to go to whatever shoddy substitute they put out, but only if it didn't damage my chances of pressing charges / a suit of somesort.
... may not be enough money to be worth a suit, though, unless the OP has time and the principle of the thing is galling enough
I guess that would depend on if she was told about the new venue or not...her contract states a certain venue, so her expectations would be that the show is held at that venue. If they changed venues, and she was not informed, she should have a right to her money back. As far as refusing to go to the new venue, she could always say that her expectations were what was stated on the contract, that is what she paid for, and therefore the services she received (or were offered at a new venue) were not carried out...
This is all coming from the top of my head. I might be WAY off legally, but for some reason I think this is also a "common sense" legal thing...or at least it should be.
See what boredom does to me? LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #26
ophidile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaLuvHerps View Post
Anyone else find any of this fishy? I might just get bored enough to call every venue on their list and find out what is going on, who knows. But, I can say that when a venue is trying to promote shows, they go out of their way to advertise it, at least on their calendar of events (I know my venue for my show goes WAY above and beyond that as well). So, why would all but ONE not have a THING to say they were there on those dates (and even that one is listed as tentative)....
Oh man they're gonna sell out of tables soon, I better hurry to get mine!
... not. This is SO FISHY!! D: I've never seen a show happening within a month NOT display a vendor list, but their website certainly doesn't. Wanna bet they don't want the vendors getting together to chat with each other about what to do? >
I'm even wondering if those photos are stolen. If not, are they of other (non "World pet expo") shows?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #27
GottaLuvHerps
Told you guys I would get bored enough to call...I talked to each venue listed, and told them exactly why I was calling. I explained that there were some questions about the shows actually being scheduled, that there were issues with the company cancelling shows and not refunding money, and not even having shows scheduled on advertised dates. I did NOT, however, give any names (including mine). Here is the info I have come up with so far.

First, the link I posted for the Miami show that is coming up is incorrect. That is for the Miami BEACH Convention Center. I did call them however, just in case, and no show there.
The OTHER convention center in Miami website is http://www.jlkc.com. Called them too. No show scheduled at all there for them, much less on March 7&8. There is, however, a concert on the 7th at 8pm if anyone is interested.

No answer at the Ranch in Loveland, CO. I also realized that there is a The Ranch in Spring, TX (website http://lovelandranch.com/). No answer there yet either, but I am EST and they are not.

The Fair Park in Dallas, TX says they are listed as a go FOR NOW on March 28-29, but to check closer because it is still somewhat up in the air. So, I guess the best way to phrase it is TENTATIVE?

Will Rogers Center says that they are not on their calendar for any date, much less April 4&5. They have one May 16th and 17th as a DIFFERENT pet expo, but NOT by this company. Their booking department is contacting this World Pet Expo and telling them to take the date off of the website. They are NOT happy, especially with the information I gave them about what is going on.

The JFK Collesium (Ice Skating Rink) says that the World Pet Expo does have a signed contract with WPE for the April 18th and 19th, but it is not listed on their calendar yet. They are NOT, however, happy about the information I gave them about the other shows and the contract issues. They will be looking into things.

The North Florida Fairgrounds says the show on June 6&7 is tentative. When asking what that means, they said they do not have a signed contract yet. They are expecting it to happen, but the lady I spoke with is very unhappy hearing the information I gave her. I explained that the expo that was to happen next weekend was cancelled and that their venue was supposed to be the "rescheduled" venue...she said to feel free to call her back if we get any information.

Now for the fun call...I called Cat (Cassandra) at the number listed in the Miami CL ad...wow. That's all I can say...

The Miami show has been postponed because of a conflict in dates with another show in the building. They currently do not have another date, as they are "in negotiations" with the venue for another date since the VENUE double booked according to her.
The Tampa Bay expo this weekend was postponed. No date coming up in the future as of now.
She will be calling me back with information on all of the other pet expos they are having, as she had NO information on any of the other shows anywhere, but she was having a meeting today with the group. I explained that I had an email exchange with someone named "Niles" but had not heard back. I left her my real information (phone number and email), so let's see what happens...

This place is so fishy it's scary.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #28
Wolfy-hound
Going above and beyond to nail scammers is,
Kelly Kordek!
Awesome amount of investigating there, and I personally thank you on behalf of all people who might get scammed by slick talking folks like these people.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
WJS Herps
I'm going to put this in plain terms. I've known Susan for a long time and she is a meticulous and professional person. These guys pull this and don't make it right they are scumbags plain and simple. $325 is along the lines of what vendors pay at the Daytona show and to pay that in Tallahassee would merit a very nice facility - not a fairground. No way can they pull the "non-refundable" card. Maybe they'll learn their lesson when they pull this crap on the wrong person and get knee-capped.

Susan, if you want to picket these guys at a show let me know. If I'm off that weekend I'll be out there with you.

And if these guys read this, Susan is a very tenacious person when she has been wronged, she doesn't forget and she won't go away.

Get 'em girl!

Bill Smoot

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #30
lanceheads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Going above and beyond to nail scammers is,
Kelly Kordek!
Awesome amount of investigating there, and I personally thank you on behalf of all people who might get scammed by slick talking folks like these people.

YAY! Kelly!

Randal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!