What does "Het" and ""Hypo" mean??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
wormfood
What does "Het" and ""Hypo" mean???

I see it everywhere and have always wondered. Ive always assumed its for breeding purpose to know what it means or whatever, so its never mattered to me. but looking through the classifieds i think ive noticed a difference in price for het or hypo or 100%het ect. Could someone please fill me in on what it means and why it affects the price?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
~Just Curious~
I'm not good with the technical stuff, but NERD has a good intro on reptile genetics you should look into http://www.newenglandreptile.com/genetics_intro.html I'll try to answer your questions anyway. Bear with me here~

Are you familiar with morphs? These are the genetic mutations that affect their appearances, causing all those fancy colors and patterns you see for sale. Example: I believe you said that you had two normal ball pythons. If you haven't already seen some of the morphs they come in, then here's a good list http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/
People pay more for these because they're less common than standard, wild-types and some combinations take generations of selective breeding to produce. Many are still relatively new and even more are still being created. Buy one and you can usually use those genes as a building block to make more complex ones. Plus a lot of people think they're pretty.

I think Albino/Amelanistic animals are the most common, you've probably seen one before. Since they lack melanin, the brown/black pigment, they only have the more colorful pigments left and are very brightly colored. Hypo is the same idea, it's just short for hypomelanistic or reduced melanin. They don't lack it completely, they just have less of it, resulting in an animal that's lighter than normal but still not as bright as an albino.

These are both simple recessive traits in many species, meaning that both parents have to carry the gene for it to appear visually. Otherwise the offspring will have the gene, but it won't be expressed so they'll just look normal. Het is short for heterozygous which means the animal is a carrier for that gene.
So if I breed a normal animal to an albino animal, all the babies will look normal, but carry the hidden gene for albino in them. They'll be het for albino or albino hets and these are more valuable than normals because even though they may not look like anything special, I can still use them to produce more albinos by breeding them to another het or a visual albino. This is where those punnett squares come in handy for checking your odds!

BTW Gotta add - hypo is sometimes codominant in certain species meaning that it has "visual hets" and a "super" visual homozygous form. NERD's genetics intro site I linked has a page on it and they explain it better than I could.
I know it's confusing in the beginning, but after you start using the terms more and seeing them in action, it'll get a lot easier. Hope this helps!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
wormfood
i know about all of the amazing morphs there are, it seems to be a never ending list. But you answered my question exactly. Thank you very much!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Glad it helped you!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
brswitzer84
Best described reading on HET / HYPO yet! Thanks for sharing

Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
~Just Curious~
Thank you for saying that, I'm so happy seeing that this thread can still be helpful to people!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!