whats w/snakes that need privacy to eat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
LISETTE1
whats w/snakes that need privacy to eat?

Do they ever eat under more usual conditions? Do they bread?

Is there anything else that can be wrong?

Just wondering.

Happy holidays~

Mike

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
clarinet45

Old 12-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Chris Steele
I see nothing wrong with them wanting their privacy to eat, they are very vulnerable to predators when eating, so this is natural. If they are picky eaters try just leaving them alone and I think it may also help to turn the lights out, but I'm not sure.

Else, they have social anxiety disorder? Haha.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
barbie69
I have some that eat no matter what the conditions and then a few picky ones that I have to turn out the lights and leave the room. Different snakes and different personalities I suppose .

Old 12-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
LISETTE1
Thanks to those that replied. thining of getting A surinam that the present owner say he needs privacy. I have only had PIGS (Boas) that would eat anything at any time. So before I purchased I fiugure I would ask.
Thanks
Happy holidays!
Mike

Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
barbie69
Good luck with your new purchase! I also have one JCP who resides in my living room and when I feed him, if there are a bunch of teenagers here they all want to watch. It sucks because then he refuses to eat the prey so then I have to get a big blanket and completely cover the entire display until he finishes it. I am constantly peeking under to see when I can remove the blanket and it is kinda annoying, but Steele is worth the extra ordeal.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
ericfire
Thumbs up

im assuming your new kid is a young one
sometimes i find if the tank is too big or if there arent enough hides they get a little freaked out
covering the tank might work
having temps just right and humidity as well could do the trick as well
be patient though he/she should get hungry
its nerve raking though as a concerned keeper
good luck and keep us posted
Eric

Old 12-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
TomO
It may grow out of it if it is young, or not settled in. It may not. Either way, I would not worry about it if it is eating.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
We have ball pythons, boas and several colubrids. As everyone can attest with ball pythons you can usually expect anything! Boas are far more reliable, as well as colubrids. It seems there are different "personalities" with different animals even within a species.

regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!