Chinese coronavirus - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 02-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #71
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
More discussion regarding the apparently manufactured nature of the virus:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...01.30.927871v1
Thanks for posting this, Ed. I was reading the comments from Disqus members at the end of the article. Most was over-my-head technical, but I understood some of it.

At least qualified people are debating aspects of the virus's origin and makeup.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #72
WebSlave
Yeah, I've been reading about the genetic makeup of this new virus containing components of HIV. In my opinion, China was playing with fire and made a mistake that has started a world wide forest fire.

But the interesting thing is that it appears that this coronavirus hits people of Asian descent particularly hard. Now that sure leads to some interesting speculation. Perhaps that lab in Wuhan was trying to work on a vaccine that was only effective for Asian people, and that is what actually escaped. But obviously it escaped before the vaccine was completed. Unless only the top brass has it, of course. Could be that the Chinese wanted to do some weeding out of their overpopulation problem.

But playing with a virus that mutates rapidly and often is a very dangerous game to be playing.

Anyway, just speculation and guesswork. We certainly won't have anyone actually responsible actually admitting to anything.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #73
WebSlave
Oh, and I also read where the USA is going to block all foreign nationals that have been to China within the past 14 days. This begins on Sunday at 5pm EST. If they get here before then, well, that's just fine. If you are an American over in China, coming back home, that is OK too.

Since asymptomatic people are apparently contagious, and symptoms may take anywhere from 2 to 14 days to show up, well, do you think that could pose a problem? There is NO test to determine if a person is infected when they are walking through the gate of an airport. If you are coughing, sneezing, and/or have a fever, yeah, you are going to be pulled aside. But otherwise, welcome to America.

If anything, this is telling me that the world is completely unprepared to handle a serious disease organism that threatens to become a pandemic. Sooner or later, WE will all suffer greatly because of this lack of preparedness.

Right now the stats are sitting a REPORTED 12,024 confirmed infections worldwide. 259 deaths from this coronovirus and 287 totally recovered. Quite frankly, I really don't like the odds of recovering compared to dying. I have to wonder at what point is a victim teetering on the edge of falling either way.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Old 02-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #74
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
stats
There is an old saying "Lies, dang lies, and statistics". Frankly I'm thinking there may be some in government or business who benefit by minimizing the deaths of this virus making it seem less threatening (at least if and until a vaccine is available for general use) and miscount a coronavirus death as flu or some other reason.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #75
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
There is an old saying "Lies, dang lies, and statistics". Frankly I'm thinking there may be some in government or business who benefit by minimizing the deaths of this virus making it seem less threatening (at least if and until a vaccine is available for general use) and miscount a coronavirus death as flu or some other reason.
Oh, I agree. Particularly the information coming out of China. Most governments will do anything, including sacrificing a good portion of the public safety, in order to avoid a widespread panic on their watch.

It is also troubling that there are confirmed infections in the USA, and have been for quite a while now, that there have been no updates on. That brings up all kinds of questions. For instance, once a person is infectious, how long do they remain infectious? How long are serious cases of this incapacitating?

Other questions that come to mind: Can this pathogen be passed into animal populations? How long is this organism dangerous when it is deposited on an inanimate object like a door handle?

And, of course, the biggest question is: How long before countries and more localized physical boundaries take serious steps to contain it? Or is it already too late to be considering that?

On a personal level, how long should WE wait before initiating quarantine procedures around us and our families? And how long would we need to do that? How many people CAN do that? How many people would need to be sick before basic services begin to fail? Will truck drivers still run their routes if they are sick or just afraid of becoming sick by contact with other people along the drive?

That reminds me, I need to call someone in to top off the propane tank for my standby generator. Meant to do that this week....

A virus can't really be cured. All you can do is to treat the symptoms and hopefully keep the victim alive long enough for their immune system to kick into high enough gear. Of course, I have been reading that the immune response itself can actually be life threatening. It can be responsible for the lungs filling up with fluid from the inflammation this virus causes in the lung tissue.

Heck, I am a nobody and a no-nothing, yet I know enough such that I am concerned about the potential severity of this. Why hasn't the government paid closer attention to this and taken steps to close the door long before the horses bolted from the barn? Maybe it's because they have been distracted by all the damned silliness they are engaging in lately. But still, no excuse. If the government cannot do it's job to protect us from threats like this, then what the hell do we need them for?

Sorry about the ranting, but I'm getting pissed. I'm getting the same feeling I got when I read just a short article in Science News magazine a long LONG time ago describing this new thing called "AIDS". I actually had the hair stand up on the back of my neck while reading about it.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #76
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

It is also troubling that there are confirmed infections in the USA, and have been for quite a while now, that there have been no updates on.
I am thinking that there are parts of the U.S. military designed just to quash information on certain situations so that if they become worse no one will know. Remember Ebola a few years back? All sorts of info, new articles, etc until suddenly reports and info dried up. It wasn't just because there was nothing newsworthy. Heck, there are articles every year about how sets of quintuplets are coming along and I don't see that as especially newsworthy.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #77
WebSlave
Quote:
I am thinking that there are parts of the U.S. military designed just to quash information on certain situations so that if they become worse no one will know. Remember Ebola a few years back? All sorts of info, new articles, etc until suddenly reports and info dried up. It wasn't just because there was nothing newsworthy. Heck, there are articles every year about how sets of quintuplets are coming along and I don't see that as especially newsworthy.
Yeah, I remember that. Things dried up right when Obama assigned someone as an Ebola Czar to manage things. His solution, obviously, was that no news is good news.

Heck, just give me the facts so I can make my own decisions about what will be best for Connie and myself. If someone withholds important information that because of which we would suffer because of it, then they are responsible in my opinion.

I don't know how bad things are in China right now. But it would be good to know in case that is what is in store for the entire world. I'm not sure what I could do about it, except to lock the gate at the end of the driveway and hope it burns out before we starve.

I went to the post office today, and literally jumped whenever someone coughed.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #78
Lucille
NYT:
Hospitals are running out of test kits and sending people home with fevers, our reporter writes from the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

That's not good news...

Old 02-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #79
WebSlave
Quote:
NYT:
Hospitals are running out of test kits and sending people home with fevers, our reporter writes from the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

That's not good news...
Yeah, lack of enough test kits isn't the only problem in China. Certainly first responders are being knocked flat along with their patients. Pretty soon I expect that everyone will be presumed to have this virus unless proven otherwise.

Hopefully what we are seeing in China won't be the rest of the world in 2 months or so. Things would be REAL ugly. With the people severely ill enough to require hospital care it appears that survival is running about 50/50 in China. Which means that will get much worse when hospital services are no longer available for ANY new patients.

This has all been predictable for years. Decades even. But nobody in position to do something about it took it seriously, apparently.

All we can hope for is that this virus mutates into a much more benign state. It already has a toehold that is going to be difficult to shake loose.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:04 AM   #80
WebSlave
BTW, this also means that any numbers you read about concerning the totals infected in China are now meaningless. No one knows what the true numbers are.

How many people who were refused by the hospitals and sent back to their homes have died and no one is able to check on them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!