whos in line for a raptor - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #51
E2MacPets
Gene,

Just remember that there is no such thing as het, if the trait turns out to be codom.

A lot of people bought 'het' giants for top dollar. Virtually worthless animals if not for other redeeming traits.
I bought a giant directly from tremper after he decided they were codom, for pennies on the dollar. What I recieved had two deformities, one of which was very significantly noticeable and the other was an eye deformity which while slight could have unknown resulting health problems.

I'm sorry if I have a dislike for Tremper that shows through in my posts discussing him, but I also have not posted anything strictly for the purpose of bashing him, I have posted because it bears discussing when the topic at hand is 'who's in line for a raptor'

I recognize what Tremper has done for the hobby. But I also recognize what his marketing has done for it. And bear in mind that I gave him the chance to be judged fairly and rightly- I bought an animal from him.

How many people would find animals with eye and tail deformities to be acceptable?
If it was anyone else other than Tremper, there would be no one defending him.
He's produced and sold animals with multiple deformities, that is a FACT. I have living proof.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #52
MattP
[quote=E2MacPets]Gene,

Just remember that there is no such thing as het, if the trait turns out to be codom.QUOTE]

Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #53
MattP
[quote=E2MacPets]Gene,

Just remember that there is no such thing as het, if the trait turns out to be codom.QUOTE]

Is this true? What about the co-dom traits that produce a Super Form. Mack snows are co-dom, right? Well, all mack snows are het for Super Snow. So maybe Tremper's Gene for Red eyes, is co-dom, but the Red Eyes is the Super form?

Old 01-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #54
E2MacPets
codom is partial dominance... so even in the 'het' form there are visual cues.

I should have clarified... if the trait is codom there is no 'het' as we know it in simple recessives. So advertising an animal as being 'het' for a recessive trait means the animal has no visual indicator that it carries the trait. If the trait turns out to be codom, the 'hets' that were sold when it was thought to be a recessive trait are nothing but normals.

If you are a breeder and you buy a new morph from Tremper, you risk your reputation when you sell offspring from this new morph.
People who bought giants from Tremper the first year and then turned around and sold 'hets' have to stand behind the fact that because of Tremper's misinformation they sold customers normals at a premium price. Presumably many of the people who bought animals that were believed to be 'het' for giant would be upset about this.

How much money do you think the people who were selling giant 'hets' lost (if they refunded money upon the revelation by Tremper that giant was not recessive)?

But please, go on and attack me for being bitter and spouting off unfounded trash.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #55
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by E2MacPets
But please, go on and attack me for being bitter and spouting off unfounded trash.
I guess no additional comment is required on that except, isn't it funny that alot of people knock rich people driving around in their "fancy shmancy" sports cars when they themselves would just love to be the one that has their name on the title?

If it's a Co-Dom then would Tremper himself be selling Hets?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 PM   #56
E2MacPets
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
I guess no additional comment is required on that except, isn't it funny that alot of people knock rich people driving around in their "fancy shmancy" sports cars when they themselves would just love to be the one that has their name on the title?

If it's a Co-Dom then would Tremper himself be selling Hets?
You judge me with a derisive comment rather than judge my statements, what does that say about you?

However if we continue with your car comparison, then no I do not want my name on the title of a Yugo regardless if it costs more than a Bentley. Remember I speak from first hand experience, having purchased a gecko from Tremper with multiple deformities.

Valid point though that if Tremper is selling hets, he is likely positive that it is recessive.
In forming a reply to this, it makes me wonder though: when Tremper was selling Giants as a recessive trait, he refused to sell hets. Did he know it wasn't recessive? Many of the original giants that were sold weren't tremendous (giant vs super giant?) until he started selling Moose offspring (many of which would have been super giants?)
Tremper never sold giant hets, it wasn't until smaller breeders [who were selling hets] came out with the fact that the trait didn't seem to be behaving the way a recessive trait should that Tremper admitted there was no such thing as a normal looking 'het' giant, because Giant was codom.

So again I ask, or rather I answer the original poster's inquiry, why pay a premium for what Tremper offers simply because he knows how to market it to make the most profit in the first years after offering it?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #57
robin d.
well he sure did for the giants... nothing would suprise me ... besides he used to sell genetic "recessive stripes" now he says stripes arent recessive but rather polymorphichowever... those stripe genes if they are recessive..... thats what you are buying in the aptor... super hypo tanerine stripe or super hypo tangerine reverse stripe... wait but stripes arent a recessive trait so how copuld aptors be recessive if he says the stripe gene is polymorphic?
and man i wonder where that tangerine came from

Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #58
robin d.
as far as the car thing i do not work with trempers for a reason..... so the car thing isnt applicable here ( plus i dont drive... im blind : snickers : LOL)

but one thing i know is that the stripes i breed are infact a simple recessive trait... took two years to prove.... go figure... polymorphic hehehe... he is trying to pawn off these hhypo albino stripes as a new form of patternless LOL YAY .... i got a couple of those in the bell form... crap we could throw the blazing bleezards in a new patternless form too

Old 01-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #59
groovygeckos
:)

Quote:
buy a new morph from Tremper, you risk your reputation when you sell offspring from this new morph.
Well , i personally will sell the offspring that are obviously APTORs or RAPTORs as such ,the others as R/APTOR X "Het" , and outcrosses as R/APTOR X whathaveyou. until it is proven by ron , myself and others . the way i see it is , i am offered an animal i like , and would like to work with , i do not expect any guarantee as im am not yet offered one . and i am willing to take some risk . i have received nothing but top , perfect animals from ron myself , and im sorry to hear about others bad experiences

Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #60
groovygeckos
:)

"cant we all just get along " lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!