Silkworms as a staple diet? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #21
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
My assumptions is that it is an odd taste for a terrestrial gecko to be eating an arboreal bug.
I seriously doubt that them being aboreal has anything to do with their "taste" or your leos not eating them.... It is most likely that your leos are not used to them....

Anyway, this place has great prices.... Much better than Mulberry Farms....

Old 08-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #22
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
I seriously doubt that them being aboreal has anything to do with their "taste" or your leos not eating them.... It is most likely that your leos are not used to them....

Anyway, this place has great prices.... Much better than Mulberry Farms....
Yeah, I agree, most of my Leos and Fat Tails LOVE them, but I can't get me Cresteds to eat them

Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #23
groovygeckos
MUCH better considering you can get up to 500 large ones for the same price . I would rather do that than get the 1/2"-1" , i could probably go through 1000 of those in a day or two , not much to the little cream puffs .LOL

Old 08-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #24
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothra
The moths don't eat and don't fly, they'll mate, lay eggs then die within a week. I've recently started breeding silkworms, I got my first cocoon in 20 days (counting from when the eggs hatch)!! I do feed them often though, especially when they're at their 4th instar (3-4 times a day). I don't have any moths yet, I hope at least some of them will eventually make it out to lay eggs for me...

Most of my leos love them too! Which is a good thing, because I really want to decrease the number of crickets in my house. Now, I alternate their food between silkworm and other things (crickets, mealworms and occasionally a super).
Wow, that is cool to kow, I may just have to try breeding them myself (Maybe...LOL)

Old 08-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #25
groovygeckos
Hey Bonnie, how about a few silkworm tips for us beginners ? LOL

Old 08-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #26
hill4803
Hey Jeanne, all of my cresteds love silkies..including the hot little girl i got from you. She RIPS 'em up! I have instructions on raising silkies if anyone is interested, drop me an email or pm you email addy.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #27
nwheat
Bonnie, I like that set up for the coccoons! Neater than my method! Mine usually just spin the coccoon on the paper towel that covers the top and then I move it to another container. I make a single layer of coccoons, and I don't bother to cover it since the moths can't fly. When the moths hatch out they need to be moved to an empty container or they will start laying eggs on the coccoons. I put them into a cool whip container with a petri dish on the bottom. When there are lots of eggs in the petri, I can transfer it to the fridge or incubator (hatchling drawer).

Ro, I'm assuming since you buy the eggs in bulk that you are refrigerating them.... have you had any problems with refrigerating the eggs? Do you do anything special to them? I've refrigerated some, but haven't tried hatching them yet.

Nancy

Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #28
hill4803
I have the refrigerated and pull out about 2000 - 3000 eggs a week to hatch. I don't have any problems with the eggs hatching.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill4803
Hey Jeanne, all of my cresteds love silkies..including the hot little girl i got from you. She RIPS 'em up! I have instructions on raising silkies if anyone is interested, drop me an email or pm you email addy.
Do you hand feed them or leave them in the cage for the cresteds to feed at their leisure?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #30
raiquee
about how many eggs does a silkie moth lay?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!