What would you do? Tortoise dead within a week - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Edmund1138
Question What would you do? Tortoise dead within a week

I rec'd a young Burmese brown tortoise from a guy who seems like he's on the up and up. I had gotten a few turtles from him in the past and was reasonably please with them. The burmese had something going on with his right eye; I mentioned this to the guy I had gotten it from and he acknowledged that he noticed it as well and attributed it to the mesh bag he's shipped the tortoise in. That evening the tortoise ate a few land snails and some greens. The next day both eyes were swollen shut and it wouldn't eat. I took him to the vet who diagnosed conjunctivitis and prescribed antibiotic drops. I followed the regimen prescribed by the vet, the tortoise continued to decline and was dead within the week. When I called the guy who sent it to me he kept saying he couldn't figure out what could've been wrong; the tortoise was healthy as a horse when it left his place. I had asked the vet if it could've been the snail the tortoise ate and he said absolutely not: my keeled boxes and other turtles eat them like crazy and are thriving. I have to admit I am at a loss as to what to do. I find myself getting pissy when I see him posting pictures of his animals (some of them were mine he took in trade) on FB, and all I have is an empty shell. He offered me no replacement option other than to mention he'd seen some blacks and browns for sale on Fauna. What do I do? Suck it up and take it as a lesson learned or go after the guy for some sort of renumeration? What would you do!