Rosy boa with possible RI from 4 day shipping trip - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
KellyWood23
Rosy boa with possible RI from 4 day shipping trip

So, I need thoughts from everyone, please. I was shipped a juvie rosy boa on Mon. from CA to AR. A heat pack was used. She was dropped off Monday afternoon at a fedex store or similar place. Unfortunately, the place overlooked her when sending out their packages so she stayed the night there. She was then sent out with Fedex on Tuesday. Because of issues with Fedex, she spent all day and night in Ft. Worth, TX yesterday. I finally got her this morning. 4 days later. She was very cold and lethargic. After warming her up a bit, I noticed that she is open mouth breathing and blowing bubbles. Generally indicative of a RI. Also looks like her lower jaw is misaligned and slightly swollen. Do you all think that is something that has to do with shipping and with proper care it will go away, or should I take her to the vet? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
bcr229
I would have already called the vet.

Also, why wasn't anyone watching tracking to make sure the package moved? I practically wear out my F5 key refreshing the FedEx site when I have a snake coming in.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
KellyWood23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I would have already called the vet.

Also, why wasn't anyone watching tracking to make sure the package moved? I practically wear out my F5 key refreshing the FedEx site when I have a snake coming in.
I was watching and I told the shipper about the problem. I was unaware that he did not drop off at an actual fedex hub, but used a company called shipnex.
And trust me, I call fedex many, many times, but it does not really make a difference. It is not like they are going to put her on another plane just because I told them too. LOL

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
KellyWood23
Oh and I have an vet appoint. for tomorrow. Not sure how well it will do though considering the vet has not treated many snakes let alone rosy boas :-(

Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWood23 View Post
I was unaware that he did not drop off at an actual fedex hub, but used a company called shipnex.
This doesn't help your snake, but the seller should have done some research first. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=261960

Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
KellyWood23
Interesting...might explain why he did not specify what was on the box..not cool!

Thank you for this info!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
hupababy_83
What did the vet say? Is she going to be okay?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
KellyWood23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupababy_83 View Post
What did the vet say? Is she going to be okay?
The vet appointment has been rescheduled to Monday. The vet that I was going to see only seems lizards and torts, not snakes.

The vet that sees snakes is out of town till Monday.

I have her warm and dry right now. Aside from her breathing issues, she seems to be ok for the time being.

Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!