Smallest Feedet Lizards? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Runs_With_Wolves
Smallest Feedet Lizards?

What are some super small feeder lizards. Smaller than a house gecko. Like the size of a house gecko's tail. And maybe where I can get some? Thanks!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I don't know the answer to that, but you can just use house gecko's tails (or legs) as feeders if you have really tiny snakes. Also freshly-hatched house geckos are TINY.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Runs_With_Wolves
I've been using a dead frozen gecko, but she doesn't like it all that much unless it's fresh. :/ I have three geckos I use to scent her food and take their dropped tails. I'm hoping they breed but until then I'm out of luck.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I have heard of one guy using de-boned quail chick legs.... if such an arcane thing is available to you...

cguarino 30, who bred Jamaican Boas used day-old chick thighs, see discussion starting at post 55 in this thread, and "how to" guide in post 77:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ferrerid=46989

Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Also I have used chicken hearts (which are available in frozen packs of chicken giblets and hearts in the grocery stores where I live, not sure about the USA). Maybe they can be cut into strips?

What species are you feeding?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Runs_With_Wolves
A baby grey banded kingsnake.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Runs_With_Wolves
Could I try chicken liver? Along with her normal food?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Now I remember your earlier thread. You'd had some success with mouse tails hadn't you?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Runs_With_Wolves
Yes, but it's not a lot of food for her. I've been feeding her ground up frog leg sausages from reptilinks. So is chicken liver okay to give to her?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs_With_Wolves View Post
Could I try chicken liver? Along with her normal food?
Liver is very high in vitamin A, and I think (but do not know for sure) that you do not want to overload with that.

When feeding my pretty small Fiji boa neonates I found chicken hearts quite useful to follow up food that they would take willingly - that is, they would take a gecko tail or leg, and when it was almost down I would put a chicken heart into their mouths and hold it there with a pair of forceps. (Not pushing it in, just holding it as if it was part of the gecko tail). Usually they would keep right on swallowing. This could also be done with a section of chicken leg or, I suppose, liver (but liver is a bit floppy).

I can't find any pics of the chicken hearts, but here are a few of the babies taking gecko tails. Once they were down to the last bit of tail I'd let go with the forceps (or chopsticks), and hold strips of heart there, and off they'd go.

If you have to rely on single-organ food like this for any length of time, I'd pack the heart with some reptile vitamins (they are conveniently hollow), as just muscle meat does not contain all the nutrients they need.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!