REPTICON / Super Pet Expo (NOT GOOD) - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #51
Mattsgecko
You deserve that money back Bryan. Dont rest until you get it back. You might be able to sue them for false advertising???
Matt White

Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #52
jasballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsgecko
You deserve that money back Bryan. Dont rest until you get it back. You might be able to sue them for false advertising???
Matt White
Sue what? Nothing gets you Nothing! LOL...

Old 02-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #53
MikeRusso
I wanted to follow up to let everone know that I was offered & accepted a full refund from Billy @ REPTICON.. Which i thought was very admirable of him... Although, i still would not attend another REPTICON event..

I also sent an eMail to the people who run The Super Pet Expo who had a somewhat different take on the days events.. Below is a copy of the eMail i received from James Christopher.. Apparently he feels they did "OK" with the reptile portion of the New Jersey show??

What I am having trouble understanding is how the vendors did "VERY WELL" selling animals... Considering that there were only 2 vendors and they had no animals for sale???

I am thinking maybe James was not there??

~ Mike Russo

Mr. Russo:
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I know the Exotic Expo was very small and, being our first year having a reptile section, I feel we did OK. They exhibitors were very happy with the crowds and they did very well selling animals, etc.

Unfortunately we do not offer refunds but I would be happy to send you complimentary passes to next year’s show. Please pass along your address and I will send them to you.

James Christopher

301-564-4050
info@superpetexpo.com
www.SuperPetExpo.com

Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #54
Doomtrooper
The repticon show In Raleigh was a total waste of Time and money .. I asked for my money back and they said no !

Old 09-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #55
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomtrooper View Post
The repticon show In Raleigh was a total waste of Time and money .. I asked for my money back and they said no !
This show is always bad. IMO. And we found many snakes with mites the very first two times we sent. And they were on Sunglows back when the going price was around $800.

3 times I went there and will never go again.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #56
Get Sum
I have been vending Repticon shows in South Florida for the past (4) years. The major problem with their shows is that they:

1. Have way to many shows, sometimes 3-4 per year at the same venue.
2. They charge to much for admission
3. They do not advertise to appropriate crowds, (I have seen more families attending recently that don't have a clue about Reptiles, they thought it was going to be a large petting zoo).
4. Some of their employees are great however, some of their employees are freakin clueless...No returned calls, No return emails, Can't book a reservation and usually find a way to screw something up!

Other than that...I think Shows are a thing of the past. Buyers are not saving their money to go to the shows like they did in years past. They go on facebook and bid on auctions now. Times have changed, It sucks, but its the truth!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #57
clemmysnut
I went to one show in Baltimore a few years back. It was terrible. I'm a turtle guy. There was 1 snapper and 1 sulcatta...that's it. There was a guy selling windows and another selling bathtubs at the show...unbelievable.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #58
jtkuhl
Same story @ their Omaha / Council Bluffs show recently! The wife and I paid the $10 each to get in the door and they had (3) vendors there! Total waste of my time and money! I could have went to PetCo and seen more selection of reptiles! Being a boa breeder in that local area, I didnt even know there was a show until a few days before! Piss poor!

Jeff Kuhl
Kuhl Exotics

Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #59
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Sum View Post
I think Shows are a thing of the past. Buyers are not saving their money to go to the shows like they did in years past. They go on facebook and bid on auctions now. Times have changed, It sucks, but its the truth!
This is true for more than just the reptile industry.

At most expos/shows these days - gun shows, HAM/Radio shows, motorcycle shows - the few attendees who do show up walk around with their smart phones comparing online/auction prices, where even with shipping and/or transfer fees they can buy stuff for $100 less than the marked prices on the tables. As a vendor why even bother setting up a table in that environment?

On top of that, with reptiles you have to deal with stressed animals, quarantining your for-sale animals from your holdbacks and breeders, and even mites when you go home. It's easier to just advertise online and ship.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #60
Get Sum
Hmmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
This is true for more than just the reptile industry.

At most expos/shows these days - gun shows, HAM/Radio shows, motorcycle shows - the few attendees who do show up walk around with their smart phones comparing online/auction prices, where even with shipping and/or transfer fees they can buy stuff for $100 less than the marked prices on the tables. As a vendor why even bother setting up a table in that environment?

On top of that, with reptiles you have to deal with stressed animals, quarantining your for-sale animals from your holdbacks and breeders, and even mites when you go home. It's easier to just advertise online and ship.
It's pretty darn hard to have an animal contract something from a show if you follow certain protocol. 1. My enclosures our heated, 2. People do not bring their animals near my table, I won't allow it, 3. I will not set-up anywhere near anybody I do not know extremely well, 4. Use lots of hand sanitizer and only allow those looking to purchase to hold animals. I have no-problem handling this in a tactful way. Just ask them, "Are you seriously considering purchasing that animal or do you just want to hold it because it looks cool"? & "For the safety of the animals, I do not take them out of the displays for others to hold, only to be examined at point of sale".

Most (buyers) completely understand and actually appreciate that approach. It's only those that just want to hold something at every table that get upset.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!