For Sale Vietnamese black breasted leaf turtle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Dannie88
Vietnamese black breasted leaf turtle

I have a male/female adult pair Geoemyda spengleri available. $1750 plus shipping. Very rare and unique species.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161029_000438.jpg (144.9 KB, 2140 views)
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Mighty J
PM sent

Old 10-31-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
Ivan M
Age? Proven breeders? Captive born? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Dannie88
spengleri

They are LTC and have been treated for parasites. Not sure of the age but estimated 3-5 years based on size. Have not bred yet but should be able to within a year.

Have had quite a few messages about these but nothing confirmed yet. Please, serious inquiries only!!
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
CaptainSpaulding
So, they're recently smuggled, most likely illegally. I assume you have no CITES paperwork on them?

You say adults, but it was obvious in the photo that one specimen is not an adult.

Have you ever bred spengleri? Even more, have you ever raised recently smuggled juveniles to breeding size? Do you know how hard it is to acclimate WC spengleri and how long it takes juveniles to reach breeding size from personal experience?

Are these animals eating fruit or pellets?

Sorry for all the questions, but many folks have been purchasing recently smuggled spengleri lately and have had them die with nothing to show for it but their support of unlawful and immoral salespeople/flippers. This is your opportunity to answer to respond and show would-be buyers that you know what your doing. I really hope you do :-)

Thanks for your time and good luck with these guys,

Anthony

Old 11-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Dannie88
Sold thanks
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
Bone Daddy
I hate the common assumption that if you keep or have rare species for sale, then they're probably some black market flip...
People need to back off, save that for for the forum on kingsnake.com.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
CaptainSpaulding
Thank you for getting involved in a conversation you know nothing about. I wrote a book on the species and have done quite a bit of research on the subject. Please feel free to do the same, then decide who should and shouldn't comment. This species IS being smuggled into the country RIGHT NOW, and I am sorry, but that matters to me. All I asked was for proof because it is common knowledge among informed people that this is a big deal.

I have watched this site, multiple times a day for 10 years, and have never said a thing. Unlike much of what you might be referring to, I waited until I really knew what I was talking about before I spoke up. And even then, despite my frustrations, I tried to keep things constructive and asked questions that the seller easily could have asked to show his knowledge so that potential buyers, like myself and the public, could get to know this seller and the animals a bit more.

He didn't answer. Point made. Congrats on the sale.

I welcome you, him, or any of you to talk spengleri any time you like. One day our hobby might be taken away because of how bad we look in classifieds. We chose turtles, and therefor need to care about their future and not our wallets. I really feel for and worry about anyone who doesn't agree.

*link removed - Nick*

Lastly, anyone being spengleri right now needs to get in touch with folks who know how to properly medicate, tube feed and otherwise acclimate the species. This is an issue right now. I have not heard of a legal importation of spengleri in the last 5 years. So be careful. These are the things we all need to be cognizant of, to protect ourselves and the turtles we love.

Thanks everyone, especially fauna classifieds for providing the opportunity for us to help each other out.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Mighty J
Ahoy Bone Daddy, here is my assessment of the recent spate of "LTC" spengleri. Just to give you some comfort, I have +/- 40 years experience with this species. I have hatched innumberable hatchlings, imported them, observed hundreds in the food markets in China and HK and was the first person in the US to ever have any, back in the late 1970s. When I pay for what is represented as "LTC" and I get DOA specimens, specimens with ticks, and specimens with algae on their shells, and do not know what and earthworm (nightcrawler) is, I conclude rater quickly that I have e been ripped off and these are in fact fresh imports. So to your point, my assumption is based on my own empirical data. Just saying...you know dude??

Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
AdamErnster
Just bought the book Anthony. Thank you for commenting. Completely agree with what you're saying. This is a beautiful species that I would love to work with in the future but I needed a good book for my research instead of trusting the Internet. It seems like CB babies aren't readily available in the pet trade as of yet. But that's okay. I hate smuggled animals and wouldn't trust myself or the imported turtles enough to spend $3,000 on a pair. We can't keep smuggling in endangered species because we are just furthering the problem. It's absurd for us to look at these animals as money instead of creatures in need of help and the establishment of assurance colonies in our country. I'm currently working with a group of cuora flavomarginata and intend to work with more endangered turtles and tortoises down the line. I will read this book and do more research on this species before I even consider buying some and I encourage everyone else interested to do the same!! Thanks again Anthony!

Adam

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!