Illegals in NYC - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
neilg
Question Illegals in NYC

what reptiles/amphibians are specifically illegal (in a civil sense?) in the 5 boros of nyc?

and in the case of theft (criminal) of their specimens and/or collections, is the owner also charged (civil? criminals?!) for having them in the first place?

is there a certain date from which ownership backwards is automatically grandfathered, without documentation, or if with, what kind?

just wondering; no i don't plan to move back there but can think of a handful of manhattanites with exotic reptiles in their apts/condos and wonder what would happen two-fold whether their illegal(s) were stolen and/or if authorities were simply made aware of such 'pets' ?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
brugaugler
Check this out: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...article161.pdf

No grandfathering provision as far as I know. The list is not thought out well. It bans all members of Iguanidae. That's aimed at the green iguana, but includes anoles too! All monitors and pythons are banned, despite the fantastic small types of both. Oh, you can't have an elephant or a whale either. Yes, they are specifically on the list. -Larry in NYC

Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
QQQSSSI
"any member, or hybrid offspring of the family Boidae"

OMG SUCH DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS!
MUST BE BANNED FOR PUBLIC SAFETY!!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
neilg
^awww.

i remember seeing PYGMY (not pencillata) MARMOSETS and pure asian leopard cat kittens kept in bird cages and fish tanks (respectively) in a couple Chinatown pet shops.

of course, that was back in the 90s. boy have things changed alot in a couple decades! (not that they were legal back then, anyways)

Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
Kjm88
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQSSSI View Post
"any member, or hybrid offspring of the family Boidae"

OMG SUCH DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS!
MUST BE BANNED FOR PUBLIC SAFETY!!!!

What species is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #6
mikew1234
Good article.. Lmao.. Basically any boa, python, native, iguanid, venomous, monitor are all illegal in the 5. As well as any animal at least 50% (may be wrong) wild hybrids (basically zoo animals and the wolf hybrid dogs, wild cat hybrids) There is also regulation on birds and fish if I remember correctly. If a theft was to occur, I know I wouldn't report it. Lol just cut my losses as the fines are not cheap. But I'm not in the city, so it doesn't all apply.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
QQQSSSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjm88 View Post
What species is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its a baby rubber boa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!