Iguana cage size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Lucille
Iguana cage size

I had a former pet shop owner tell me recently that a 55 gallon aquarium is plenty of room for an iguana.I do not agree. However, some people outfit entire rooms for their iguana and this is not practical for me. Somewhere between the two, there is a workable solution. If you have kept iguanas, how big was your enclosure?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
RMKrugel
Iguana Setup

I am by no means a caging expert, but I will tell you a couple of things that I do and considered when building my iguana cage(s). Some of the things I bear in mind are obviously the space considerations, also temerature control, humidity retention and lighting. When you build your own cages, you have to bear in mind how to use the lights you have to their best advantage.

For my two iguanas, I have one cage with a divider. It's built from plyboard and 2x4's. This is quite simple. I used the standard 4ftx8ft plyboard sheet as my base and then built up from there, so that they both have at least 6ft of vertical space. The actual floor space -because of the divider, is 16 sq ft. Added to this, I created levels, so that there would be more sunning/basking areas and then added climbing cage furniture to allow activity. Now, to ensure some humity while not damaging or warping the wood, I use a product called numatte. Its a thick plastic sheet sold in 4X8ft setions, used to waterproof areas in kitchens and so on. These i glued in place on the bottom and bottom half of the cage. This helps water and humidity retentions and is easy to clean up. The fromt of the cage has lexan wondows and the top is made from hardware cloth (the more "industrial" variety) to allow air flow and proper light penetration.

Now, I had originally built this for a single iguana, but was "gifted" one because some pets are getting more difficult and expensive to care for. So I added the divider. I would love to have more space for them, but it's just not a reality. However, they seem to be thriving in what they have now, and until I can change the setup (and find space somewhere), this is where they will stay.

Hope this is sort of what you were looking for,
RMK

Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Lucille
It is. I was thinking of starting with a 4 foot by 4 foot one but maybe I need to think bigger. There is an absolutely stunning habitat pictured over in the ks iguana forum, it even has its own shower for the iggy. That's more money than I can spend though.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
SPJ
There is a petstore by me that has a green iguana as the store mascot. He is 17 years old now. They keep him in a 125 gallon tank but he gets out everyday and gets his exercise around the store.
He looks cramped in the 125 but after 17 years, I guess the exercise he gets makes up for the smaller sleeping quarters.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!