Feeding gravid Dumerils (when to stop) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
hhmoore
Feeding gravid Dumerils (when to stop)

I have 2 gravid dumerils boas. I have been feeding them smallish meals (1 f/t med rat) every 1-2 weeks. They look great, and have put on weight steadily. For the last few feedings, I have been placing the rat on the paper - well away from the boas - to prevent the hard strike/constrict response. I didn't catch the one's ovulation, and I'm unsure about the date of the other's (because I thought I saw it at two very different times, about 3 weeks apart). In any event, I'm figuring I have anywhere from 2-5 weeks left. My question is: is it safe to continue offering them food? (safe for both them and the babies to be.) I have heard stories about problems caused by feeding too close to parturition, and am not convinced that they would refuse the meal. Any opinions/advice are much appreciated.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #2
DAND
Mine have always stopped eating on their own. I'd just continue with the small meals until they either stop or drop.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
M.Dwight
Unlike Boa constrictors my Dumeril's have always ate right up until birth. I feed them normally (but slightly smaller size prey) while gravid. In fact, the secret of breeding Dums every year is to feed them while gravid (if they will eat.) This is how long time Dumeril's breeders like Guy Clark are able to breed their older females every year...just keep them well fed while gravid.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Mike Greathouse
I'll echo that as well. I always continue to offer food. Some girls will feed and some girls won't.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
hhmoore
Thanks for the input, guys. I hate feeling like I am withholding food, lol. I'll just keep going then, leaving the food so they don't attack it. The one looks like she is ready to burst. She just shed a few days ago; but from what I have read, that doesn't mean a whole lot with Dums (as far as shed-parturition time).

Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
I can't wait to see the pics of your babies.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
hhmoore
some things just can't be rushed, Karen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!