How often should I use the reptical? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
rosebud945
Sometimes putting several crix in there gets them eating because of the movement. I understand your crix phobia. I have so darned many lizards that I need to start raising roaches, and I am a southern girl! We grow up with flying tree roaches and are taught to loath and fear them! Crix are nothing compared to a 2-3 inch flying roach! But putting more in at a time for your little girl might be necessary to get her to eat.

Please update this thread tomorrow. Let us know how she is doing!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
Kloster
Ill keep the topic updated for sure!
I was also thinking of perhaps getting superworms or some sort of worm instead of the roaches since theyre waaay easier to pick up with the tweezers and deffiently no noise. My only worry would be that they turn to beetles( gross) but ive been reading that they dont turn if theres many of them and that theyd need to be seperate to pupate or w/e

Theyre listed as an Ocasional food and not a Staple here: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

nyworms.com has 100 for $20. Not bad I think...
Obiously I dont want to breed them because theyd have to turn into beetles for that ughh.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy silkworms for cheap?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Kloster
http://www.komodoreptiles.com/ this guy has really good prices for several worms too!
100 Silkworms for $17 doesnt sound bad to me either... and those are listed as Staple in the nutrition table!

Is my beardie big enough for them though?
Id much rather have worms than multiple legged thingies, i'd rather hold my 10'' Lasiodora Parahybana tarantula instead of a cricket theyre so gross.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
rosebud945
I would hold off on supers until she is older. You should wait until she is at least 6-8 inches nose to vent before you feed supers because they can cause impaction.

If you are willing to buy worms online, the silks, horns and phoenix worms are your best choice. I buy mine from
www.mulberryfarms.com

If you get phoenix worms, get the large, because they are small. The horns are clingy, so they can be a little more icky if you hate bugs that much. They are tomato worms.

I think if you have trouble getting her to eat right now, the worms will be a good idea along with the crix. Then you can feed mostly crix when she gets good and settled.

You know you can also put her in a medium sized rubbermaid container just to feed her the bugs. Then you don't really have to touch them. You can just shake them to one corner and pour them back in the circket container. I have a sub adult rescue, and I have trained him to eat crix from a jar! I just hold it and he sticks his head in there and picks off as many crix as he wants!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
Kloster
Also, although I did find info about superworms growing into beetles I didnt find silkworms growing into moths so... how long before silkworms turn into moths?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Kloster
Worms can replace crickets in their diets right?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #17
Kloster
Awesome silkworm prices here too http://www.mulberryfarms.com/.
As soon as I can confirm that silkworms can replace the crickets in their diets im sold.
Oh yeah and that moth thing, deffinetly dont want those around.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
rosebud945
It takes awhile for small silks to grow into moths, but you know they spin cocoons first and the moths are flightless. They are quite pretty moths. They look like silk to me.

You can replace the crix with the right kind of worms, but it will cost you a fortune while you are raising a baby. People generally use the crix and roaches as staple feeders because babies need to eat so much. It is also a good idea with mix it up with feeders, so I would suggest just supplementing the crix with worms. When I have babies and juvies, I feed mostly crix in a separate container or from a jar 2-3 times a day, and let them eat all they can in 10 minutes or so. That way you don't have to pull crix at night. Then I buy worms about once a month, and they get those for one feeding per day until they're gone.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #19
rosebud945
Quote:
Awesome silkworm prices here too http://www.mulberryfarms.com/.
Isn't that the link I gave you? :-)

Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
Kloster
Really? How many worms do you think a 6'' Beardie would down in a day?

Man if theyre so expensive... I guess I could try buying the eggs though... 2k silkworm eggs for $20.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!